KOINONIA Greek Forum Login To Start Posting!
KOINONIA - Greek Forum
Profile | Active Topics | Latest Topics | Latest Replies | Popular
RSS Feed | Partners | Search | AFQ

» Forgot your Password?

All Communities
 The language
 Speaking Greek
 Help with a translation of Gregory Theologian
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Registration is closed. The Forum remains available only as a source of published information.

Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

crisoft

Romania
40 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2008 :  05:32:51  

Thank you, friends :)

I appreciate your explanations.

Go to Top of Page

crisoft

Romania
40 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2008 :  08:29:37  

Is σύνισμεν 1st person plural, indicative present of σύνειμι ? Shouldn't it be σύνεσμεν? I found the word in Letter III of St. Gregory.

Thanks

Go to Top of Page

n/a

55 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2008 :  10:27:02  

If it comes from σύνειμι and is (should be) σύνεσμεν, how would you translate it?

Go to Top of Page

crisoft

Romania
40 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2008 :  11:04:56  

The passage is this:
Ἥσθην ἐπαινούμενος. Τὸ γὰρ τὸν υἱὸν ἡμῶν Εὐάγριον εὐδοκιμεῖν, ἡμᾶς ἐστιν εὐδοκιμεῖν· τέκνων γὰρ ἀρετὴ δόξα πατέρων. Ἡμεῖς δέ, εἰς λόγους μέν, οὐδὲν ἢ μικρὸν ἴσως σύνισμεν ἡμῖν αὐτοῖς ὠφελήσασι τὸν σὸν υἱόν, οὐδὲ γὰρ μέγα ἡμῖν τὸ τῶν λόγων· ἓν δὲ ἀντὶ πάντων αὐτῷ καὶ μέγιστον συνεισηνέγκαμεν, οὐκ ἀρνήσομαι, τὸν τοῦ Θεοῦ φόβον καὶ τὸ πεῖσαι τῶν παρόντων καταφρονεῖν.

For now, I translated this passage as: "I enjoyed being praised. For if our son Evagrius is famous, the fame is ours; for the virtue of the children is the glory of the fathers. But we are, together, little or not at all usefull in words to ourselves as your son, for there is nothing great among words for us; but one is for him instead of all and the greatest: we contributed together, I will not deny, to the fear of God and the keeping in mind of the faith in those that are near".

The words I'm not sure I translated right are: συνεισηνέγκαμεν (we contributed together? - from συνεισφέρω), σύνισμεν (we are together?), ὠφελήσασι (usefull? - from ὠφελέω - be serviceable?), τὸ πεῖσαι τῶν παρόντων καταφρονεῖν (the keeping in mind of the faith in those that are near? - πεῖσαι=infinitive of πειθω, παρόντων = present participle of παρειμι).

How did I do?

Thank you!

Go to Top of Page

n/a

55 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2008 :  12:35:07  

Σύνεσμεν ἡμῖν αὐτοῖς (if that was the verb) would mean "we are together with ourselves", which is absurd. Think a little. It is an irregular, but very common and important verb, you surely know.

Go to Top of Page

Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Promote Greek Learning

Use Elpenor's Libraries and Greek Language departments to stimulate your thinking. To refer to a text there published, just copy its url and paste it in your post. ||| Get updates of all Ellopos sites by e-mail. ||| Download Shortcuts for easy access to the Communities - or drag this icon and drop it in the Links bar of your browser :ELPENOR

Learned Freeware

Reference address : https://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/koinonia/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=434© Elpenor