KOINONIA Greek Forum Login To Start Posting!
KOINONIA - Greek Forum
Profile | Active Topics | Latest Topics | Latest Replies | Popular
RSS Feed | Partners | Search | AFQ

» Forgot your Password?

All Communities
 The language
 Speaking Greek
 Conjugation of οἶδα in Classical and Koine Greek
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Registration is closed. The Forum remains available only as a source of published information.

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

crisoft

Romania
40 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2008 :  17:41:59  

Did the conjugation of οἶδα change from Classical to Koine Greek? I ran into John 1:31, where ᾔδειν is used as being 1st person singular, while my classical greek textbook says ᾔδειν should be 3rd person singular, and 1st person should be ᾔδη.

Thank you

George

Greece
615 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2008 :  02:03:34  

Hi Marian, let me suggest that you change your textbook, because it should let you know that οἶδα has the following two forms in classical Greek (imperfect indicative:) ᾔδη, ᾔδησθα, ᾔδει, ᾔδεμεν, ᾔδετε, ᾔδεσαν, and ᾔδειν, ᾔδεις, ᾔδειν, ᾖσμεν, ᾖστε, ᾖσαν. As you see, in the second form the first and the third person of the singular are the same. If your textbook mixes the forms and uses ᾔδη for the first person and ᾔδειν for the third, can not be trusted. It is safe to close it and never open it again.

Go to Top of Page

crisoft

Romania
40 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2008 :  06:59:17  

That's too bad :(. It seemed pretty good at first glance. It's the "Teach yourself ancient greek" book, by Gavin Bets & Allan Henry. Anyway, I guess it's better to throw it away than to learn bad things :)

Thanks

Go to Top of Page

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Promote Greek Learning

Use Elpenor's Libraries and Greek Language departments to stimulate your thinking. To refer to a text there published, just copy its url and paste it in your post. ||| Get updates of all Ellopos sites by e-mail. ||| Download Shortcuts for easy access to the Communities - or drag this icon and drop it in the Links bar of your browser :ELPENOR

Learned Freeware

Reference address : https://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/koinonia/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=441© Elpenor