KOINONIA Greek Forum Login To Start Posting!
KOINONIA - Greek Forum
Profile | Active Topics | Latest Topics | Latest Replies | Popular
RSS Feed | Partners | Search | AFQ

» Forgot your Password?

All Communities
 The language
 Speaking Greek
 Help with a translation of Gregory Theologian
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Registration is closed. The Forum remains available only as a source of published information.

Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

n/a

55 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2008 :  03:07:05  

Hi Marian,

St Gregory the Theologian's language is indeed difficult, but as I see in your work, your knowledge of Greek is not insignificant; you have passed the stage when learning Greek seems almost impossible, and, if you keep studying with joy and discipline, you can learn really good Greek. Just don't go fast, take your time on a sentence, and stop working when you feel tired.

You seem to lose control in the last, pretty long, sentence, and the cause of this perhaps is the word μᾶλλον, which is not always meaning "more". Μᾶλλον can also mean "rather". This way you would translate: "How do you see our journey, and what is the fruit of the journey, or rather [the fruit] of the Spirit that lives in us," etc.

Go to Top of Page

crisoft

Romania
40 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2008 :  08:10:16  

Thank you! Yes, I think I mistranslated the last sentence from Romanian to English (I am trying to translate St. Gregory in Romanian). I had it right in romanian :). Thank you for your encouragement, I will do exactly as you advised me. I really love Greek.

Γειά σας

Go to Top of Page

crisoft

Romania
40 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2008 :  14:01:41  

Hello again!

I would like to ask you for some hints on this text:

"Οὐ μὴν παντάπασι ψεύσομαι, ἂν τοῦτο αὐτὸς καταδέξῃ·. τὰ μὲν γὰρ ἡμεῖς σοι συνεσόμεθα, τὰ δὲ αὐτὸς ἡμῖν θέλησον, ἵν' ᾖ τὰ πάντα κοινὰ καὶ τὸ τῆς φιλίας ὁμότιμον. Οὕτω γὰρ ὑπάρξει καὶ τὸ τούτους μὴ λυπεῖν καὶ τὸ σοῦ τυγχάνειν."

First of all, what is the meaning of τὰ μὲν/ τὰ δὲ, I saw that an english translator translated those as "half". Also, what is the meaning of ἂν τοῦτο αὐτὸς καταδέξῃ and ὑπάρξει here? A complete literal translation of this would be divine :). Here is what another translator has, but I don't quite see why he translated the text as that:

"Yet I will not fail you altogether, if you will accept this offer. I shall be with you half the time, and half of it you will be with me, that we may have the whole in common, and that our friendship may be on equal terms; and so it will be arranged in such a way that my parents will not be grieved, and yet I shall gain you."

Thank you!

Go to Top of Page

Laellius

France
52 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2008 :  00:38:12  

Marian,

A translator can translate words, but not meaning, and therefore you should not rely on those, especially if it makes you more confused. The best is apply what you know, as George said, and, if still not sure, ask a person who knows.

As far as τὰ μέν/ τὰ δέ is concerned, and I do not want to induce you into error here, my knowledge of Greek being still very limited, it is generally translated by "Some...others" in creating a contrast between two actions. If I am right, it would look more like "At some time...at other times..."

Go to Top of Page

n/a

55 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2008 :  02:28:34  

"Half" would be a risky translation; some times / other times is better. ἂν τοῦτο αὐτὸς καταδέξῃ refers to the proposal that follows; some times Gregory will go to Basil, other times Basil will visit Gregory. ὑπάρξει = it will happen. This way, (by visiting each other at times) it will happen, it will be achieved, that Gregory's parents won't be neglected and the two friends will be together.

Go to Top of Page

Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Promote Greek Learning

Use Elpenor's Libraries and Greek Language departments to stimulate your thinking. To refer to a text there published, just copy its url and paste it in your post. ||| Get updates of all Ellopos sites by e-mail. ||| Download Shortcuts for easy access to the Communities - or drag this icon and drop it in the Links bar of your browser :ELPENOR

Learned Freeware

Reference address : https://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/koinonia/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=434© Elpenor