KOINONIA Greek Forum Login To Start Posting!
KOINONIA - Greek Forum
Profile | Active Topics | Latest Topics | Latest Replies | Popular
RSS Feed | Partners | Search | AFQ

» Forgot your Password?

All Communities
 The language
 Speaking Greek
 Help with a translation of Gregory Theologian
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Registration is closed. The Forum remains available only as a source of published information.

Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

crisoft

Romania
40 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2008 :  12:48:42  

Ah, it's σύνοιδα :). So a translation would be:
"I enjoyed being praised. For if our son Evagrius is famous, the fame is ours; for the virtue of the children is the glory of the fathers. But we, in words, know little or nothing usefull at all about ourselves as your son, for there is nothing great among words for us; but one is for him instead of all and the greatest: we contributed together, I will not deny, to the fear of God and the keeping in mind of the faith in those that are near."

Sounds a bit confusing though.

Go to Top of Page

n/a

55 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2008 :  13:26:25  

It is confusing, because you keep hurrying, while you need to think more. At www.ellopos.net/elpenor/lessons/lesson2.asp">Elpenor's second Greek lesson I suggest to treat a difficult sentence like a puzzle.

"know little or nothing usefull at all about ourselves": you missed the accord of ἡμῖν αὐτοῖς ὠφελήσασι, although it is in a series.

but one is for him, etc: bring it to a normal order (already existing in the original).

to the fear of God: why "to"?

Go to Top of Page

crisoft

Romania
40 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2008 :  14:30:39  

I don't get it :(

Go to Top of Page

n/a

55 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2008 :  03:47:49  

Yet us, as regards words, [σύνισμεν ἡμῖν αὐτοῖς ὠφελήσασι τὸν σὸν υἱόν:] we know ourselves to have offered nothing or perhaps little to your son, since for us words is not something great.

But we brought him instead of all just one and the greatest, which I won't deny, fear of God and the persuasion to despise the present life.

Go to Top of Page

crisoft

Romania
40 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2008 :  06:31:15  

Thank you very much! From your translations, I took the following conclusions:
- ὠφελήσασι is the dative of the aorist participle for the verb ὠφελέω;
- in τὸ τῶν λόγων, τὸ is instead of quotes: like he would have said: "words";

Is this right? And was the rest of my translation ok?

Thank you again :)

Marian

Go to Top of Page

Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Promote Greek Learning

Use Elpenor's Libraries and Greek Language departments to stimulate your thinking. To refer to a text there published, just copy its url and paste it in your post. ||| Get updates of all Ellopos sites by e-mail. ||| Download Shortcuts for easy access to the Communities - or drag this icon and drop it in the Links bar of your browser :ELPENOR

Learned Freeware

Reference address : https://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/koinonia/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=434© Elpenor