KOINONIA Greek Forum Login To Start Posting!
KOINONIA - Greek Forum
Profile | Active Topics | Latest Topics | Latest Replies | Popular
RSS Feed | Partners | Search | AFQ

» Forgot your Password?

All Communities
 The language
 Speaking Greek
 Aristotle, Meteorolgy
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Registration is closed. The Forum remains available only as a source of published information.

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Smoggler

3 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2013 :  12:43:09  

Hello, I am trying to find an original Greek excerpt from Aristotle's Meteorology.

Can anyone help? I would be extremely grateful.

George

Greece
615 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2013 :  14:40:17  

Do you know the Bekker reference?

Go to Top of Page

Smoggler

3 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2013 :  00:15:51  

Indeed I do.

343a20-35

Thank you very much for helping George.

Go to Top of Page

George

Greece
615 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2013 :  03:07:38  

The Greek original: πᾶσιν δὲ τούτοις τὰ μὲν κοινῇ συμπίπτει λέγειν ἀδύνατα͵ τὰ δὲ χωρίς. πρῶτον μὲν οὖν τοῖς λέγουσιν ὅτι τῶν πλανωμένων ἐστὶν εἷς ἀστέρων ὁ κομήτης· οἱ γὰρ πλανώμενοι πάντες ἐν τῷ κύκλῳ ὑπολείπονται τῷ τῶν ζῳδίων͵ κομῆται δὲ πολλοὶ ἑωραμένοι εἰσὶν ἔξω τοῦ κύκλου. εἶτα καὶ πλείους ἑνὸς ἅμα γεγένηνται πολλάκις. πρὸς δὲ τούτοις͵ εἰ διὰ τὴν ἀνάκλασιν τὴν κόμην ἴσχουσι͵ καθάπερ φησὶν Αἰσχύλος καὶ Ἱπποκράτης͵ ἔδει ποτὲ φαίνεσθαι καὶ ἄνευ κόμης τὸν ἀστέρα τοῦτον͵ ἐπειδήπερ ὑπολείπεται μὲν καὶ εἰς ἄλλους τόπους͵ τὴν δὲ κόμην ἴσχει οὐ πανταχοῦ· νῦν δ΄ οὐδεὶς ὦπται παρὰ τοὺς πέντε ἀστέρας· οὗτοι δὲ πολλάκις ἅμα πάντες μετέωροι φαίνονται ὑπὲρ τοῦ ὁρίζοντος. καὶ φανερῶν δὲ ὄντων αὐτῶν ἁπάντων καὶ μὴ φαινομένων πάντων͵ ἀλλ΄ ἐνίων ὄντων πρὸς τῷ ἡλίῳ͵ οὐδὲν ἧττον κομῆται φαίνονται γιγνόμενοι πολλάκις.

Translated in English from www.ellopos.net/elpenor/greek-texts/ancient-greece/aristotle/meteorology.asp?pg=11" target="_blank">https://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/greek-texts/ancient-greece/aristotle/meteorology.asp?pg=11 : These views involve impossibilities, some of which are common to all of them, while others are peculiar to some only. This is the case, first, with those who say that the comet is one of the planets. For all the planets appear in the circle of the zodiac, whereas many comets have been seen outside that circle. Again more comets than one have often appeared simultaneously. Besides, if their tail is due to reflection, as Aeschylus and Hippocrates say, this planet ought sometimes to be visible without a tail since, as they it does not possess a tail in every place in which it appears. But, as a matter of fact, no planet has been observed besides the five. And all of them are often visible above the horizon together at the same time. Further, comets are often found to appear, as well when all the planets are visible as when some are not, but are obscured by the neighbourhood of the sun.

Go to Top of Page

Smoggler

3 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2013 :  22:40:05  

Thank you George, you are a true gentleman. That is exactly what I was looking for.

Just one further request, could you provide me with the correct reference for this citation, please?

Thank you again.

Go to Top of Page

George

Greece
615 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2013 :  11:26:32  

Check this page about www.ellopos.net/mail/citations.html">Citing Ellopos resources.

Go to Top of Page

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Promote Greek Learning

Use Elpenor's Libraries and Greek Language departments to stimulate your thinking. To refer to a text there published, just copy its url and paste it in your post. ||| Get updates of all Ellopos sites by e-mail. ||| Download Shortcuts for easy access to the Communities - or drag this icon and drop it in the Links bar of your browser :ELPENOR

Learned Freeware

Reference address : https://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/koinonia/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=597© Elpenor