KOINONIA Greek Forum Login To Start Posting!
KOINONIA - Greek Forum
Profile | Active Topics | Latest Topics | Latest Replies | Popular
RSS Feed | Partners | Search | AFQ

» Forgot your Password?

All Communities
 The language
 Speaking Greek
 English Words of no Apparent Greek Origin
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Registration is closed. The Forum remains available only as a source of published information.

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Neos

6 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2008 :  05:00:07  

Hello friends. Χαίρετε.
My name is John Neos. I have an interest in etymology and i've created a blog entitled "English words of no Apparent Greek Origin" [http://ewonago.blogspot.com/]. There you can find the etymology of words like parliament, sincere, vow, library, mortality, stop, script, etc. All of them have a Greek etymon, a Greek root.
In each post, you can also find Greek words related to the etymon, so you can learn them easily.
Periodically, i'll also post a few words in this forum in order to help people learn Greek easily by using the cognates between English and Greek.
Send me your comments.
Best regards.
John

Aristokles

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2008 :  15:24:31  

I've seen your posts on the textkit forum on same topic. It will be interesting to see any reaction here.

Go to Top of Page

Neos

6 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2008 :  09:16:47  

Hi Aristokles.
Did you like the posts? Have you visited my blog? What do you suggest, with which one to start with?
John.

Go to Top of Page

samantha

Australia
1 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2008 :  08:34:48  

Hi, my nsme is Sam and i have a greek friend who wrote the following message to me: Po po! Eho tetio fovo! Could you please translate it for me? thanks

Go to Top of Page

George

Greece
615 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2008 :  10:45:33  

Hi Samantha, your friend perhaps over-estimates your knowledge of Greek! The phrase means: "My Goodness! I have such a fear!"

Go to Top of Page

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Promote Greek Learning

Use Elpenor's Libraries and Greek Language departments to stimulate your thinking. To refer to a text there published, just copy its url and paste it in your post. ||| Get updates of all Ellopos sites by e-mail. ||| Download Shortcuts for easy access to the Communities - or drag this icon and drop it in the Links bar of your browser :ELPENOR

Learned Freeware

Reference address : https://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/koinonia/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=470© Elpenor