KOINONIA Greek Forum Login To Start Posting!
KOINONIA - Greek Forum
Profile | Active Topics | Latest Topics | Latest Replies | Popular
RSS Feed | Partners | Search | AFQ

» Forgot your Password?

All Communities
 The language
 Speaking Greek
 Trying to learn Greek by myself
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Registration is closed. The Forum remains available only as a source of published information.

Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Kevin

Canada
36 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2007 :  23:37:12  

I think many English-speakers learning may like Xenophon's Anabasis better to begin with because it is more available in interlinear translations than other works in Ancient Greek, and the interlinear translations help some learn the language easilier and with more confidence, even though the Greek were written in a style more complex.

If such is more helpful to the beginner, isn't that a more important place to begin?

Go to Top of Page

George

Greece
615 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2007 :  01:14:39  

Does not Perseus offer interlinear versions of all texts?

Go to Top of Page

Kevin

Canada
36 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2007 :  07:58:33  

I was thinking more along the lines of this kind of interlinear.

The texts at Perseus look very helpful in their own way. But they are not the same. One must click on a word in order to have another page open and see the meaning, which is somewhat a nuisance and delays the ability to read the text with at least a likeness to fluentness. And then, contrary to seeming popular belief, many don't have a computer, or wish to be stuck to a computer whenever they wish to read the text they are (or were) beginning with.

Go to Top of Page

George

Greece
615 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2007 :  16:53:06  

Maybe you can try interlinear versions as those, in print. If you search in stores for used books, it is possible to find very nice prices.

Go to Top of Page

vir litterarum

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2007 :  23:47:19  

The most important thing to do when learning Greek is TO NOT JUST MEMORIZE!!!! Buy Smyth's A Greek Grammar for Colleges and learn the reason behind why each principal part was formed the way it was. Greek tense-stem formation did not become clear to me until I learned what suffixes were used and why. Furthermore, I would not study the Bible in Greek at all until you have mastered a more intricate dialect. Koine, with the exception of a few cases, totally excised the optative mood. If you are trying to learn the entire language, you will need to learn this mood and its uses, and reading the Bible will only confuse you because it may use a different mood where you would expect the subjunctive. If you cannot find an answer to a syntactical or grammatical question, refer to Smyth as a last resort. It covers nearly everything. You can download a free copy at textkit.com.

Go to Top of Page

Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Promote Greek Learning

Use Elpenor's Libraries and Greek Language departments to stimulate your thinking. To refer to a text there published, just copy its url and paste it in your post. ||| Get updates of all Ellopos sites by e-mail. ||| Download Shortcuts for easy access to the Communities - or drag this icon and drop it in the Links bar of your browser :ELPENOR

Learned Freeware

Reference address : https://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/koinonia/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=217© Elpenor