KOINONIA Greek Forum Login To Start Posting!
KOINONIA - Greek Forum
Profile | Active Topics | Latest Topics | Latest Replies | Popular
RSS Feed | Partners | Search | AFQ

» Forgot your Password?

All Communities
 The language
 Speaking Greek
 Epimenides Cretica
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Registration is closed. The Forum remains available only as a source of published information.

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

atari

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2007 :  16:56:30  

I am looking for the Greek text Epimenides' Cretica. I can't find it online and have no clue where else to look.

George

Greece
615 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2007 :  07:51:21  

Do you search for a translation or for the original? For an excerpt you can see wikipedia. Epimenides' poem Cretica is quoted twice in the New Testament. In the poem, Minos addresses Zeus thus:

They fashioned a tomb for thee, O holy and high one— / The Cretans, always liars, evil beasts, idle bellies! / But thou art not dead: thou livest and abidest forever, / For in thee we live and move and have our being. [Please note that the last line is by Aratus, not Epimenides]

The "lie" of the Cretians is that Zeus was mortal; Epimenides considered Zeus immortal. "Cretians, always liars", with the same theological intent as Epimenides, also appears in the Hymn to Zeus of Callimachus.

The second line is quoted, with a veiled attribution ("a prophet of their own"), in the Epistle to Titus, chapter 1, verse 12, to warn Titus about the Cretians. The "prophet" in Titus 1:12 is identified by Clement of Alexandria as Epimenides (Miscellanies, chapter 14). In this passage, Clement mentions that "some say" Epimenides should be counted among the seven wisest philosophers.

Go to Top of Page

David Starr

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2009 :  19:27:54  

I have seen the English version. I want the original Greek, with source please. Wiki is not enough.
David Starr

Go to Top of Page

George

Greece
615 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2009 :  02:00:55  

You can find the Greek text at the TLG site

Go to Top of Page

giovanni

Italy
45 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2009 :  09:11:21  

Well, I quote from the Wikipedia; "Several prose and poetic works, now lost, were attributed to Epimenides by the Suda" This is the point "now lost", we have only short quotations from this author inside the works of others, such as the New Testament. You can find something more on Suda, that is the Byzantine encyclopedia mentioned by the Wikipedia and you can also check Athenaei, Deipnosophistae, ed. E. Meineke, also mentioned by the Wikipedia, have a look here.

Go to Top of Page

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Promote Greek Learning

Use Elpenor's Libraries and Greek Language departments to stimulate your thinking. To refer to a text there published, just copy its url and paste it in your post. ||| Get updates of all Ellopos sites by e-mail. ||| Download Shortcuts for easy access to the Communities - or drag this icon and drop it in the Links bar of your browser :ELPENOR

Learned Freeware

Reference address : https://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/koinonia/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=322© Elpenor