KOINONIA Greek Forum Login To Start Posting!
KOINONIA - Greek Forum
Profile | Active Topics | Latest Topics | Latest Replies | Popular
RSS Feed | Partners | Search | AFQ

» Forgot your Password?

All Communities
 The language
 Speaking Greek
 Pronouncing 'Epictetus'
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Registration is closed. The Forum remains available only as a source of published information.

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

khs10uk

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2005 :  01:08:12  

I would be very grateful for advice on how to pronounce the name of the Roman Stoic teacher Epictetus.

Would Latin speakers have pronounced Epictetus differently from the way Greek speakers would have pronounced Epiktêtos? I am presuming they would have.

Am I right with epic-TEE-tus for Epictetus from a Latin speaker?

And epik-TAY-tos for Epiktêtos from a Greek speaker? Or should that be e-PIK-tay-tos? The latter, I understand is correct for modern Greek. But would that be right for Koine Greek?

Thanks.

Keith

George

Greece
615 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2005 :  01:49:41  

Hi Keith,
The word comes from the preposition epi and the adjective ktetos (aquired)

It is pronounced (by Greeks) Epictetos with a soft accent on i, because e is makron.

Go to Top of Page

khs10uk

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2005 :  23:29:36  

Ah, now I’m puzzled…

I understand that êta is always long (makron?).

And I see at MacLennan's that, “If a name has three or more syllables, then: accent the second-to-last syllable, if it's long; accent the third-to-last, otherwise.”

Epictetus has 4 syllables, so if êta is long, “επικτητος” is pronounced ep-ik-TAY-tos.

So how would the Latin speaker who spelled this “Epictetus” in Rome have pronounced this? ep-ik-TEE-tus ? Is McLennan's site wrong, then?

(Wish I had a time machine...)

Go to Top of Page

George

Greece
615 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2005 :  06:27:04  

Hi Keith. You don't need a time machine, you need concentration!

McLennan, as he writes, offers suggestions to pronounce ancient words "in their usual Anglicized way", not Greek, nor Roman.

The rule that you mention is obviously wrong. Think about other words, the pronunciation of which you happen to know already, like Paracletοs (the Holy Spirit - Παράκλητος). If you pronounce it Paracletοs, that is wrong; it is (in Greek) Paracletοs : Παράκλητος.

The accent descents at the genitive case: "tou Paracletou" (τοῦ Παρακλήτου). This change of accent happens also in the dative case (to Paracleto - τῷ Παρακλήτῳ).

(Don't forget inflections)

Very Best wishes
Ἔρρωσο!

Go to Top of Page

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Promote Greek Learning

Use Elpenor's Libraries and Greek Language departments to stimulate your thinking. To refer to a text there published, just copy its url and paste it in your post. ||| Get updates of all Ellopos sites by e-mail. ||| Download Shortcuts for easy access to the Communities - or drag this icon and drop it in the Links bar of your browser :ELPENOR

Learned Freeware

Reference address : https://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/koinonia/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=94© Elpenor