KOINONIA Greek Forum Login To Start Posting!
KOINONIA - Greek Forum
Profile | Active Topics | Latest Topics | Latest Replies | Popular
RSS Feed | Partners | Search | AFQ

» Forgot your Password?

All Communities
 History, Culture, Society
 Greece before Christ
 Was King Paul I of Greece a Pythagoric Scholar?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Registration is closed. The Forum remains available only as a source of published information.

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Philippos

Brazil
1 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2010 :  14:17:16  

Dear friends,

I was just reading a work on history of philosophy by a Brazilian thinker (Mário Ferreira dos Santos). In the chapter regarding Pythagoras, I found the following excerpt (the original is in Portuguese; translation is mine):

"Presently, a few worthy scholars over the world, among them we could mention the current king of Greece; dr. Sakellaríou, president of the University of Athens; [...] etc., are collecting all the reliable and most precious documents in order to reconstruct the true thought of Pythagoras [...]".

The book in which I found the quotation above was printed in March 1964. This was precisely the occasion of King Paul's passing away and King Constantine's succession to the throne. Given the necessary delay between the writing of a text and its printing, I guess the author was talking about King Paul I, rather than his son, King Constantine II.

Nevertheless I was unable to find any other reference to Pythagorical studies written (or, perhaps, simply sponsored) by King Paul I. Is anyone here aware of any such studies?

Thanks in advance.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Promote Greek Learning

Use Elpenor's Libraries and Greek Language departments to stimulate your thinking. To refer to a text there published, just copy its url and paste it in your post. ||| Get updates of all Ellopos sites by e-mail. ||| Download Shortcuts for easy access to the Communities - or drag this icon and drop it in the Links bar of your browser :ELPENOR

Learned Freeware

Reference address : https://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/koinonia/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=553© Elpenor