KOINONIA Greek Forum Login To Start Posting!
KOINONIA - Greek Forum
Profile | Active Topics | Latest Topics | Latest Replies | Popular
RSS Feed | Partners | Search | AFQ

» Forgot your Password?

All Communities
 The language
 Speaking Greek
 Athenaeus on Health - in Greek original
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Registration is closed. The Forum remains available only as a source of published information.

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2010 :  16:21:30  

I have been trying to find the original text of this passage - Ariphron, Fragment 813 (from Athenaeus, Scholars at Dinner) (trans. Campbell, Vol. Greek Lyric V) :
"Hygeia (Health), most revered of the blessed ones among mortals, may I dwell with you for what is left of my life, and may you graciously keep company with me: for any joy in wealth or in children or in a king’s godlike rule over men or in the desires which we hunt with the hidden nets of Aphrodite, any other delight or respite from toils that has been revealed by the gods to men, with you, blessed Hygeia, it flourishes and shines in the converse of the Kharites; and without you no man is happy."

I found a site which has original viewable texts online of many volumes of this work of Athenaeus. Each of the titles on that page can be clicked on and then viewed in full. Unfortunately I can not read them as I am unfamiliar with the Greek language not to mention Ancient Greek.

I need to carve this passage into a handmade wooden box in the original ancient Greek text as a gift. I would very greatly appreciate any translation help, or if it is possible for anyone to read the texts in the link I posted and tell me where the part I need is located. Thanks very much for your help in advance!

Best, Sal

George

Greece
615 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2010 :  16:49:01  

Hi Sal,

Here it is in Greek (note that the English translation you mentioned above starts wrong; the song praises health as the oldest of Gods, not as the most revered by mortals. The rest is ok). Ὑγίεια͵ πρεσβίστα μακάρων͵ μετὰ σοῦ ναίοιμι τὸ λειπόμενον βιοτᾶς͵ σὺ δέ μοι πρόφρων σύνοικος εἴης. εἰ γάρ τις ἢ πλούτου χάρις ἢ τεκέων τᾶς ἰσοδαίμονος ἀνθρώποις βασιληίδος τ΄ ἀρχᾶς ἢ πόθων͵ οὓς κρυφίοις Ἀφροδίτας ἄρκυσιν θηρεύομεν͵ ἢ εἴ τις ἄλλα θεόθεν ἀνθρώποισι τέρψις ἢ πόνων ἀμπνοὰ πέφανται͵ μετὰ σεῖο͵ μάκαιρα Ὑγίεια͵ τέθαλε πάντα καὶ λάμπει Χαρίτων ὄαρι· σέθεν δὲ χωρὶς οὔτις εὐδαίμων.

Go to Top of Page

sal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2010 :  16:52:48  

Thank you so much George! So If I capitalize all the letters, Is that how it would appear in ancient Greek? Like when you see the carvings on the greek temples?

Best, Sal

Go to Top of Page

sal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2010 :  16:55:00  

Oh, one more question, In the ancient Greek carvings, as I understand it there are no spaces between words, is that correct?

Go to Top of Page

George

Greece
615 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2010 :  17:32:56  

If you want to imitate an ancient carving, you should do what you say - capitals and without spaces. But this would render the text very difficult to read today. If your interest is somehow related with the present too, perhaps you must keep the small letters and the spaces.

Go to Top of Page

sal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2010 :  17:35:39  

Thank you again George! It is for artistic purposes so I need to make it look like an ancient Greek carving. The person who it is for does not read Greek so I will have to give them a translation in English anyhow. I will begin on it now, and I can post a photo of it when it is done if you would like to see it.

Thank You!!!

Go to Top of Page

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Promote Greek Learning

Use Elpenor's Libraries and Greek Language departments to stimulate your thinking. To refer to a text there published, just copy its url and paste it in your post. ||| Get updates of all Ellopos sites by e-mail. ||| Download Shortcuts for easy access to the Communities - or drag this icon and drop it in the Links bar of your browser :ELPENOR

Learned Freeware

Reference address : https://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/koinonia/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=546© Elpenor