KOINONIA Greek Forum Login To Start Posting!
KOINONIA - Greek Forum
Profile | Active Topics | Latest Topics | Latest Replies | Popular
RSS Feed | Partners | Search | AFQ

» Forgot your Password?

All Communities
 The language
 Speaking Greek
 Help with Greek Composition (Attic Greek)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Registration is closed. The Forum remains available only as a source of published information.

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Philios

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2010 :  03:33:00  

I recently started over in studying Attic Greek and wrote a short introduction to myself in Greek, based on the Latin version of the English original. I would appreciate the Koinonia members' help correcting it. If you would like to help correct me, you can read it here.

This is the composition I mentioned in my first post.

Ευχαριστω υμιν,

Philios

George

Greece
615 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2010 :  06:59:19  

You need a lot of studying - starting from the basic, declensions, conjugation etc. Your text is so full of mistakes, it needs hours to be corrected. Start studying grammar and syntax systematically, and try to read each day a page or two of a Greek text you are interested in - Plato, The New Testament, whatever, and practice by translating small sentences or paragraphs from English to Greek. If you do that with texts already translated from the Greek you will also have the chance to check your work by using the original. For example, Elpenor's www.ellopos.net/elpenor/greek-texts/greek-word.asp" target="_blank">Bilingual Greek Anthology would provide you the necessary texts to work this way. But whatever way you choose, you need a lot of work.

Go to Top of Page

Philios

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2010 :  18:00:50  

Well, I was sure it did have many mistakes. Most of my writing up to now has been from Greek to English, so I don't have the experience yet for English to Greek, or straight Greek composition. And almost all of my reading has been in the Greek Bible. I am about to start doing short sentences, as you suggest, with the books on Attic I have-Teach Yourself Greek by F. K. Smith and T.W. Melluish, Greek for Beginners by L.A. Wilding (in printed form) and some from Textkit in PDF form.

I am sure the materials here on Elpenor will help also.
Thanks for the advice.

Philios

Go to Top of Page

George

Greece
615 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2010 :  05:17:45  

Do you recall Cavafy's poem, The First Step? "Just to be on the first step / should make you happy and proud. / To have come this far is no small achievement: / what you have done is a glorious thing."

The hard work that you need, doesn't mean you have achieved nothing! But I wouldn't recommend using textbooks and similar aids, because they usually select uninteresting excerpts. Perhaps it would be better to continue your study working on texts that really excite you, favorite New or Old Testament chapters, etc. Let me remind you of the "devotional" advice of yours, which means that we need to bring crucial texts to the center of our life, not just follow some boring textbook.

Go to Top of Page

Philios

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2010 :  03:00:41  

Χαιρε ο φιλος μου·

I agree about learning from interesting content. The Teach Yourself Greek book has better selections than the other Attic book I mentioned. TYG has readings and sentences to translate based on the Greek Bible, church fathers, Plato, Aristotle, Homer, and others. Of course I will also continue using the Attic selections here on Elpenor.

As for Greek writing practice, I am now a member of the new Greek forum site Σχολη. I have written a few posts with short sentences and so far am making myself understood. Any suggestions for improvement if you read my posts there would be appreciated. My username there is Δεβενιος Δυλενιος. I will also try this approach on the Διαλογοι Αττικοι site.

Again, thanks for the encouragement, and I look forward to learning more Attic, as well as learning Koine better, with Elpenor and the Koinonia members.

Philios

Go to Top of Page

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Promote Greek Learning

Use Elpenor's Libraries and Greek Language departments to stimulate your thinking. To refer to a text there published, just copy its url and paste it in your post. ||| Get updates of all Ellopos sites by e-mail. ||| Download Shortcuts for easy access to the Communities - or drag this icon and drop it in the Links bar of your browser :ELPENOR

Learned Freeware

Reference address : https://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/koinonia/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=538© Elpenor