KOINONIA Greek Forum Login To Start Posting!
KOINONIA - Greek Forum
Profile | Active Topics | Latest Topics | Latest Replies | Popular
RSS Feed | Partners | Search | AFQ

» Forgot your Password?

All Communities
 The language
 Speaking Greek
 My Fathers Ancient Greek
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Registration is closed. The Forum remains available only as a source of published information.

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

outpaddling

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2009 :  15:21:01  

My father studied Ancient Greek in the USA during the 1920s. As children, we enjoyed his recitation of The Iliad and the sound of the old language. He also made up childrens stories using Greek names. One character name in particular he pronounced "Gah Foo Foo Lus". Can anyone tell me if this is a word or phrase in Greek and how to learn more about it? Thank you, Nick

George

Greece
615 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2009 :  15:43:17  

Hi Nick! I'm sorry but I don't think this is Greek - at least not from a word one can find in a dictionary. Perhaps in this case your father was inspired by something else.

Go to Top of Page

outpaddling

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2009 :  19:14:40  

Thank you for the reply. Perhaps it was just inspired as you say. My father loved to recite a passage from Homer which I later learned was rich in onomatopoeia. As a child, I marveled at how I could understand the Ancient Greek language used to describe the clanking of arrows in a quiver and the twang of the bow string. A beautiful and poetic language. I'll keep searching for the inspiration behind my Father's Gafufalus stories.

Go to Top of Page

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Promote Greek Learning

Use Elpenor's Libraries and Greek Language departments to stimulate your thinking. To refer to a text there published, just copy its url and paste it in your post. ||| Get updates of all Ellopos sites by e-mail. ||| Download Shortcuts for easy access to the Communities - or drag this icon and drop it in the Links bar of your browser :ELPENOR

Learned Freeware

Reference address : https://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/koinonia/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=507© Elpenor