KOINONIA Greek Forum Login To Start Posting!
KOINONIA - Greek Forum
Profile | Active Topics | Latest Topics | Latest Replies | Popular
RSS Feed | Partners | Search | AFQ

» Forgot your Password?

All Communities
 The language
 Interpretation
 Translation of pale horse [Revel.6.8]
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Registration is closed. The Forum remains available only as a source of published information.

Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

charlesgibson836

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2009 :  22:58:09  

Hello, can anyone tell me if the word pale ,as translated out of Greek into English,as found in the King James version of the Bible, Revelation 6.8, means pale green in Greek? And if so ,why was green left out of the English translation?

George

Greece
615 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2009 :  03:41:22  

Hi Charles! Chloros (χλωρός) may mean pale, or just green (even fresh, young, and the like). The second translation doesn't seem proper to the horse of death! Therefore King James preferred just the "pale" translation.

Go to Top of Page

charlesgibson836

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2009 :  14:49:35  

Thank you George!yes ,I understand that death would not be normally be considered fresh,or young ;especially in the time of King James.However, In this fresh ,young Change of [go green] and these new ideas of putting food in our gas tanks instead of sending our excess corn and food crops to the starving poor in other countries,and one of the weapons of death on the pale horse is starvation;I think this green movement should be watched carefully.How ever ;once again,Thank You.

Go to Top of Page

LLOJ

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2009 :  01:29:34  

That word is also used in Mark 6:39 and is there a place in the LXX that greek word is used in the OT?
Mark 6:39 also seems to resemble that passage in Psalms 22:2. Thoughts?

www.ellopos.net/elpenor/greek-texts/new-testament/revelation/6.asp" target="_blank">Revel. 6:8 And I saw and behold! a horse green and the one sitting up-on him a name to him the death and the hades follows with him and was given to them authority upon the fourth of the land to-kill in sword and in famine and in death and by the beasts of the land.

www.ellopos.net/elpenor/greek-texts/new-testament/mark/6.asp" target="_blank">Mark 6:39 and He enjoins them to recline all together drink together-drink upon the green fodder.

www.ellopos.net/elpenor/greek-texts/septuagint/chapter.asp?book=24&page=22" target="_blank">Psalm 22:2 In greens of vegetation He is making recline me on waters of resting-places he is conducting/leading me

Go to Top of Page

George

Greece
615 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2009 :  02:10:15  

The word is used 4 times in the New Testament (3 of them in the Revelation) and 18 times in the Septuagint, with the meanings mentioned above, sometimes meaning "pale", and sometimes meaning the grass, or the young, fresh, etc.

Go to Top of Page

charlesgibson836

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2009 :  18:03:55  

Yes ,Thank you LLOJ, and once again to you George.yes I see that the same word is used for the color of grass in revelation.8;7and9;4.I don't about the LXX,LLOJ

Go to Top of Page

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Promote Greek Learning

Use Elpenor's Libraries and Greek Language departments to stimulate your thinking. To refer to a text there published, just copy its url and paste it in your post. ||| Get updates of all Ellopos sites by e-mail. ||| Download Shortcuts for easy access to the Communities - or drag this icon and drop it in the Links bar of your browser :ELPENOR

Learned Freeware

Reference address : https://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/koinonia/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=498© Elpenor