KOINONIA Greek Forum Login To Start Posting!
KOINONIA - Greek Forum
Profile | Active Topics | Latest Topics | Latest Replies | Popular
RSS Feed | Partners | Search | AFQ

» Forgot your Password?

All Communities
 The language
 Interpretation
 Septuagint Genesis 2:19 question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Registration is closed. The Forum remains available only as a source of published information.

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

crisoft

Romania
40 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2008 :  14:46:07  

Can someone tell me the meaning of πᾶν ὃ ἐὰν ? I am trying for a few days to translate this: καὶ πᾶν ὃ ἐὰν ἐκάλεσεν αὐτὸ Αδαμ ψυχὴν ζῶσαν τοῦτο ὄνομα αὐτοῦ and I haven't been successful to give a LITERAL translation yet. I want to understand this text word by word.

Thank you!

George

Greece
615 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2008 :  06:44:02  

The strange thing about this phrase (this is what puts you to trouble, I guess) is the sequence ὃ - αὐτὸ - τοῦτο. All of these words refer to ὄνομα. Thus your sentence is translated : and whatever name by which Adam called any living soul [any animal], that [became] its name.

Go to Top of Page

sphragidon

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2008 :  13:35:54  

καὶ πᾶν ὃ ἐὰν ἐκάλεσεν αὐτὸ Αδαμ ψυχὴν ζῶσαν τοῦτο ὄνομα αὐτοῦ

Yeah, it's pretty much what George said. The ἐὰν is kind of a conditional, but not how we use it in English.

"And by whatever name Adam should call a living being, this was its name. "

Go to Top of Page

WHEELER

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2008 :  22:28:43  

FYI. It is interesting to note that "psyche" is said of "living things".

Many people don't know this but all living things have souls. Plants, animals and humans, all have souls---including Bacteria. This is the definition of Plato. Anything that has "self-movement" has soul.

Roman Catholic Christianity, steeped in Platonic Philosophy, recognizes and affirms that.

Go to Top of Page

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Promote Greek Learning

Use Elpenor's Libraries and Greek Language departments to stimulate your thinking. To refer to a text there published, just copy its url and paste it in your post. ||| Get updates of all Ellopos sites by e-mail. ||| Download Shortcuts for easy access to the Communities - or drag this icon and drop it in the Links bar of your browser :ELPENOR

Learned Freeware

Reference address : https://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/koinonia/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=365© Elpenor