KOINONIA Greek Forum Login To Start Posting!
KOINONIA - Greek Forum
Profile | Active Topics | Latest Topics | Latest Replies | Popular
RSS Feed | Partners | Search | AFQ

» Forgot your Password?

All Communities
 History, Culture, Society
 New Hellenism
 More Resources For Great Schism of 1054?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Registration is closed. The Forum remains available only as a source of published information.

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mahalla2

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2007 :  22:48:25  

Any suggestions on where to find detailed information on the Great Schism of 1054 (Split between the Byzantine/Greek Church and The Roman Catholic Church. I am writing a research paper and would appreciate any help - thanks!

richard

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2007 :  06:17:33  

My first suggestion would be to go to Romanity.org
Next, I'll dig up my own paper on the dialogue between Jeremias II and the Tuebingen Scholars for references I used in it. I'll get back to you later.

---Richard

Go to Top of Page

n/a

55 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2007 :  06:41:06  

The Great Schism, by Kallistos Ware

www.ellopos.net/elpenor/vasilief/default.asp" target="_blank">A History of the Byzantine Empire, by A.Vasiliev

Constantinople and Rome : A Survey of the Relations between the Byzantine and the Roman Churches, by M. V. Anastos

Byzantium and the West, by A. Laiou

The Greek East and the Latin West, by Ph. Sherrard

www.ellopos.net/elpenor/greek-texts/greek-resources-constantinople.asp">Constantinople Home Page

Go to Top of Page

mahalla2

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2007 :  20:11:28  

Thank you Elpenor and Richard - This subject really fascinates me and I plan to begin reading through all the information this evening.

Go to Top of Page

richard

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2007 :  09:21:23  

Some things to bear in mind. The west always intended to be orthodox. Augustine's point of view is that upon which the thinking that results in the filioque is based. His understanding is psychological, and might have its basis in language; he "hated" the Greek language and loved Latin.

In a collapsing society such as maintained in the west, human tendancy is to find the nearest rescuer, that is, the one most likely to be our "representative," it will be one who speaks our language and seems to voice our perspective. The use of the filioque was only to defeat the Arianism that the originally stated Creed was written to defeat. Everything else is just defensive; and finally, ignorance is a disease only cured by knowledge.

Compare these points with what you discover in your reading and I think you'll probably find them correct.

Richard

Go to Top of Page

mahalla2

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2007 :  20:38:50  

In all honesty Richard, I will try to look at the whole picture rather than attempt to figure out which side was right or wrong. Although details are important, I am ultimately more interested in knowing why the main players made the choices they did and how all (world-wide) were majorly affected as a result.

Go to Top of Page

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Promote Greek Learning

Use Elpenor's Libraries and Greek Language departments to stimulate your thinking. To refer to a text there published, just copy its url and paste it in your post. ||| Get updates of all Ellopos sites by e-mail. ||| Download Shortcuts for easy access to the Communities - or drag this icon and drop it in the Links bar of your browser :ELPENOR

Learned Freeware

Reference address : https://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/koinonia/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=352© Elpenor