KOINONIA Greek Forum Login To Start Posting!
KOINONIA - Greek Forum
Profile | Active Topics | Latest Topics | Latest Replies | Popular
RSS Feed | Partners | Search | AFQ

» Forgot your Password?

All Communities
 History, Culture, Society
 Greece before Christ
 Ancient Greeks in America
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Registration is closed. The Forum remains available only as a source of published information.

Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

EdZiomek

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2007 :  21:10:38  

I am an amateur historian and have posted on many other websites concerning ancient Greeks in the Western Hemisphere.

I feel that my research has made RE-discoveries since 99% of my theories are already published by many, many authors over the last 500 years.

But I have made what probably are unique research plausibly NEW discoveries.

Having no college degree or academic pedigree, and literally with an occupation of an avid library "diver" and taxi "driver", how will this website receive an amateur's viewpoints?

My biggest example I believe is the name of the State of Illinois, which I have already e-published as being... either "Elianas", or "Hellenes". Supporting this theory is the names of Illinois Amerindian tribes/names, such as "Argo", who was the first King of Greece, and Peoria, which I believe has a Greek equivalent Pearia, or something similar.

Acapulco is very plausibly A-cro-poliso. Minneapolis is the "polis" of the Minneans, I believe. Illyria Ohio, and the Erie Canal are named after the Illyrians I believe.

Hopatcong, Netcong, and Musconetcong in New Jersey are fascinatingly close to Hypate, Netis, and Metis, three of the original Muse of Delphi and the first strings on the lyre (3-stringed).

The Peguasset tribe of Bridgeport Connecticut is most definitely named after Pegausis.

Arkansas is most probably named after Arksantris, or Aleka Sandra, Alexander.

Parsippany, New Jersey. Persephone, Prosperina.

Then it gets complicated, and I take an even bigger step...

Ogygia. Hawaii.

Passaic, New Jersey.... Psyche.

Just as every author I could name who has said similar things is dismissed and criticized, I have also been validly criticized for my educational guesses.

The difference is I can provide possibly two hundred of these amazing coincidentally similar naming conventions, in writing, for your review.

Example: Face of Medusa, Center of Aztec calendar.

http://img333.imageshack.us/img333/8521/medusatonatiuh5vj.jpg

I am not asking for "belief". I am not asking for "acceptance". I am only offering these amazing "coincidences" for others to review and study.

Now, the most important question: Will this website allow me to table these theories, without scientific proof? Can I table more of these amazing "conincidences"?

Thank you for any opinions.

George

Greece
615 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2007 :  01:09:50  

Hi,

As you admit, we are talking about coincidences. Let's now take an opposite stance and say that they are not coincidences, that is, the Argo tribe, for example, is somehow related with Greece. Our next task would be to trace common features between American natives and Greeks. If these tribes did not have philosophy, to confine myself in one main characteristic, then what does it matter even if they somehow borrowed their name from Greece?

It is the same case with modern so-called www.ellopos.net/elpenor/greek-texts/ancient-greece/a-macedonian.asp">'Macedonians': they don't speak Greek, their culture is not in any way influenced by Greece, they do not love Homer, Plato or the Greek Fathers, they don't love Greece and they are in no way related with Greek history - and yet they call themselves "Macedonians"....

On the other hand, you in America do not need linguistic support, especially not of the guess-and-coincidence-kind. Your culture is deeply marked by Greece, by your interpretation of Greece, to be sure, yet such an interpretation lies in the root of your existence, almost to the same degree that it lies in the making of ancient Rome. From this aspect, you are Greeks, no matter the etymology of the city-names. It would be interesting to have articles on the real spiritual influence of Greece in the formation of America, but the word-game you are interested in I think doesn't interest the visitors of this forum.

Go to Top of Page

EdZiomek

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2007 :  05:13:46  

Word game or our common ancestors? Well thank you. I am glad you responded, and I am glad I asked.

Go to Top of Page

Maniatis

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2007 :  12:52:16  

Your post was very interesting. I do not agree with George on the being of "...interest to visitors in this forum." I believe that is it always interesting to see new ideas. I also feel it is important to look at different perspectives when it comes to theory. These different perspectives are what allows us to make new discoveries. There are many linguist in the world who have made connections of Greek words with Ancient Peruvian, Polynesian and other languages. There are also many mythologies in South and Central America discussing visitors from a far away land introducing architecture, math and science to them.

Now as for Greeks visiting and maybe even settling in North America that is not entirely impossible. After all there were Greek explorers during the 6th century B.C.E that had went as far north as Iceland and possibly even Greenland. It would not be far fetched if some even went as far as Nova Scotia and even further south. What we must do is keep an open mind to things unknown and remember that just because there isn't proof of something yet does not mean that Archaeologist will not find something in future that supports such a thing.

There is a certain law in Paleontology called 'Washburn's Law'. This law states that "The less we know about the fossil record the more confidently we can speak about it." Even though this discusses human evolution it can be applied to many other scientific fields. So don't let people with that sort of mind set discourage you. There are usually prestige and monetary reasons why some people remain narrow-minded as not to ever even consider a different theory than the one they have made a living and a career out of!

Remember the Clovis first argument and how they refused to accept anything older for the longest time? Well now with the overwhelming evidence being found throughout the Americas that theory has been thrown to the side. We all know now that Clovis was not first but was pre-dated by at least 5,000 years if not more.

One other example is that of Mycenae and Troy. Once thought to be nothing but mythology are now reality!

Go to Top of Page

Maniatis

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2007 :  12:56:50  

Ed,

in order for your theory to be taken serious has little to do with your education. What it depends on is your research and can it be tested. You must find further connections as George has mentioned in order to further test your theories. If you can show more than just word similarities and show some connection with the art or mythology of the Native Americans with the Greeks then your theory will hold some authority.

Keep pursuing your ideas and don't let anyone discourage you. If you need any assistance let me know and I will do my best.

I am a professional in Archaeology but I always keep an open mind.

Go to Top of Page

Maniatis

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2007 :  13:03:24  

That Medusa image is quite interesting. There may be more than just coincidence with that. You must also research the mythologies behind the two deities and see if there are any similarities.

Go to Top of Page

Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Promote Greek Learning

Use Elpenor's Libraries and Greek Language departments to stimulate your thinking. To refer to a text there published, just copy its url and paste it in your post. ||| Get updates of all Ellopos sites by e-mail. ||| Download Shortcuts for easy access to the Communities - or drag this icon and drop it in the Links bar of your browser :ELPENOR

Learned Freeware

Reference address : https://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/koinonia/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=327© Elpenor