KOINONIA Greek Forum Login To Start Posting!
KOINONIA - Greek Forum
Profile | Active Topics | Latest Topics | Latest Replies | Popular
RSS Feed | Partners | Search | AFQ

» Forgot your Password?

All Communities
 The language
 Interpretation
 Luke 10:22
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Registration is closed. The Forum remains available only as a source of published information.

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

atari

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2007 :  20:23:56  

I have a question on the extra "Kai strafeis pros tous maqhtas eipe" ("and turning to his disciples he said") in Lk 10:22. This is in the official Greek Orthodox text, and also in Stephanus 1550. Apparently it was not in the Beza 1598 text the KJV largely followed, and doesn't appear in most modern texts. Below is the KJV translation, and I have added this phrase in square brackets [].

Luke 10:21-24 "In that hour Jesus rejoiced in spirit, and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes: even so, Father; for so it seemed good in thy sight. {22} [And turning to his disciples he said,] All things are delivered to me of my Father: and no man knoweth who the Son is, but the Father; and who the Father is, but the Son, and he to whom the Son will reveal him. {23} And he turned him unto his disciples, and said privately, Blessed are the eyes which see the things that ye see: {24} For I tell you, that many prophets and kings have desired to see those things which ye see, and have not seen them; and to hear those things which ye hear, and have not heard them."

At first glance the text looks a little strange with the extra "Kai strafeis pros tous maqhtas eipe." Can anyone give a good explanation as to why Jesus would turn to his disciples twice in a row?

George

Greece
615 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2007 :  07:43:08  

Hi,

In my opinion, if one had to remove this phrase, he should remove the second instance. At www.ellopos.net/elpenor/greek-texts/new-testament/luke/10.asp">Luke 10.21 Christ speaks to the Father and the turning-phrase connects this speech with His speaking to the disciples. However, I wouldn't omit the second instance either. The second instance is not exactly the same with the first. There are two more words in it, κατ' ἰδίαν (translated in KJ as 'privately'), which do not appear in the first instance of the turning-phrase. This addition shows (at least) that what follows is directed exclusively to the disciples.

Go to Top of Page

atari

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2007 :  15:56:22  

Yes, that makes sense. He turned to the disciples but then more privately to the disciples alone where no one else could overhear.

Go to Top of Page

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Promote Greek Learning

Use Elpenor's Libraries and Greek Language departments to stimulate your thinking. To refer to a text there published, just copy its url and paste it in your post. ||| Get updates of all Ellopos sites by e-mail. ||| Download Shortcuts for easy access to the Communities - or drag this icon and drop it in the Links bar of your browser :ELPENOR

Learned Freeware

Reference address : https://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/koinonia/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=317© Elpenor