KOINONIA Greek Forum Login To Start Posting!
KOINONIA - Greek Forum
Profile | Active Topics | Latest Topics | Latest Replies | Popular
RSS Feed | Partners | Search | AFQ

» Forgot your Password?

All Communities
 The language
 Speaking Greek
 Attributive and translation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Registration is closed. The Forum remains available only as a source of published information.

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Laellius

France
52 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2007 :  14:54:24  

Hello,

I came across this sentence: εχω ιππον τω του νεου ανθρωπου διδασκαλω ( I apologize for not using the breathing and accent marks, I cannot find them on my keyboard; I hope it doesn't alter the meaning of the sentence).

There could be two alternative ways to translate this sentence:

1) I have the young man's horse for the teacher.
2) I have a horse for the young man's teacher.

To whom is the attributive "του νεου ανθρωπου" attributed? Is it attributed to the horse, or to the teacher? Does the attributive construction allow us to tell that the teacher belongs to the young man, rather than the horse to the young man?

George

Greece
615 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2007 :  17:02:49  

Hi Laellius,

To mean "I have the young man's horse for the teacher" it should say "ἔχω τὸν τοῦ νέου ἵππον τῷ διδασκάλῳ". They way you write it now, ἔχω ἵππον τῷ τοῦ νέου διδασκάλῳ, the genitive belongs to the teacher, as is enclosed in the dative. It is also common for such a genitive to precede the subject (think of it in English as "the man's teacher" instead of "the teacher of the man")

Go to Top of Page

Laellius

France
52 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2007 :  12:34:12  

Thank you Georges

Go to Top of Page

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Promote Greek Learning

Use Elpenor's Libraries and Greek Language departments to stimulate your thinking. To refer to a text there published, just copy its url and paste it in your post. ||| Get updates of all Ellopos sites by e-mail. ||| Download Shortcuts for easy access to the Communities - or drag this icon and drop it in the Links bar of your browser :ELPENOR

Learned Freeware

Reference address : https://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/koinonia/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=284© Elpenor