KOINONIA Greek Forum Login To Start Posting!
KOINONIA - Greek Forum
Profile | Active Topics | Latest Topics | Latest Replies | Popular
RSS Feed | Partners | Search | AFQ

» Forgot your Password?

All Communities
 The language
 Speaking Greek
 Koine Greek Pronunciation Question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Registration is closed. The Forum remains available only as a source of published information.

Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

George

Greece
615 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2007 :  07:41:08  

Slightly longer

Go to Top of Page

LeeGoldberg

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2007 :  09:02:40  

Rebekah, if you're American like me, I suspect that your teacher's point may have been that it's important to pronounce the first vowel of OMICRON more like an "O" than like an "A".

That is to say, for most Americans the stressed "O" in "doctor" sounds more like the Greek ALFA in DHAKTILA 'finger' than like the Greek OMIKRON in the first syllable of DHORON 'gift' (I welcome corrections to my Greek and instructions on how to enter text in Greek script). Similarly, we pronounce "Mom and Pop" with vowels close to the ALFAs in I MANA KE O PAPAS. So many Americans tend to mispronounce the "O"s in other languages (I've heard of a Mrs. Oporto addressed as "Mrs. Aborto"--'Mrs. Abortion'). Maybe this was what your teacher had in mind, rather than a more subtle distinction between a more or less open "O", or a longer or shorter one.

Go to Top of Page

IWANHS

Israel
3 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2007 :  00:40:39  

for Patricia
if o-mikron is pronounced as in 'poke', then o-mega is either pronounced as in 'poke', without a difference, or held slightly longer and lower in the mouth toward 'aw' in some dialects of English.
if you are aiming at KOINH, then o-mikron and o-mega are pronounced the same, just like in modern Greek.

Go to Top of Page

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Promote Greek Learning

Use Elpenor's Libraries and Greek Language departments to stimulate your thinking. To refer to a text there published, just copy its url and paste it in your post. ||| Get updates of all Ellopos sites by e-mail. ||| Download Shortcuts for easy access to the Communities - or drag this icon and drop it in the Links bar of your browser :ELPENOR

Learned Freeware

Reference address : https://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/koinonia/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=283© Elpenor