KOINONIA Greek Forum Login To Start Posting!
KOINONIA - Greek Forum
Profile | Active Topics | Latest Topics | Latest Replies | Popular
RSS Feed | Partners | Search | AFQ

» Forgot your Password?

All Communities
 The language
 Speaking Greek
 Noun cases
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Registration is closed. The Forum remains available only as a source of published information.

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Christina Archer

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2007 :  10:06:14  

Could somebody write an example of actual noun cases in Koine Greek? I find it difficult to understand what this means in Greek. English and Greek (as all who read this know already) are quite different. Thanks very much

George

Greece
615 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2007 :  10:49:28  

Hi Christina,

You can find some examples at this page. Here are notes on this difference between English and Greek in the use of cases (inflection).

Go to Top of Page

Laellius

France
52 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2007 :  12:47:50  

Christina,

You might also want to check out this website by Professor Pozzi, who teaches Greek at the University of Houston:

http://www.class.uh.edu/MCL/faculty/pozzi/grnl1/grnl1.gateway.htm

Go to Top of Page

Kevin

Canada
36 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2007 :  16:58:24  

Christina

A website may help a bit on the side. But if you are serious about studying Greek, I would recommend a good introductory book.

You may wish to take a look at William D. Mounce's Basics of Biblical Greek Grammar for studying Koine. It is a great beginner's book.

Go to Top of Page

llarry

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2007 :  20:55:45  

Christina,

Are you taking a class or trying to learn on your own.

Here's an example of what they mean by case if it helps

"ὁ ἄνθρωπος βλέπει τὸν ἥλιον" = The man (nominative singular anthropos) sees the sun ( accusative singular helion).
Here the man (anthropos) is the subject in nominative singular and the sun(helion) is the object in accusative singular case.

where as "ὁ ἥλιος ἐκλάμπει ἐν τῷ ἀνθρώπῳ" = The sun (nominative singular helios) shines on the man (dative singular)

here sun (helios) is the subject in nominative case and man (anthropo) is in dative due to the use of the preposition εν (on) which governs dative case in this usage. (I think, hopefully if I have any of this wrong someone will correct me.) So there are a few examples .

I'm trying to learn on my own and find that using many different resourses helps. I am using "Teaching yourself New Testament Greek" by Gavin Betts; "Learn New Testament Greek" by John Dobson; Smyths" Greek Grammar"; Harpers Analytical Greek Lexicon; and Thayers "Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament". Of course I use this site alot, mostly for pronunciation and sound files plus it's fun to read the arguments. (LOL)

Good Luck, I hope this helps.

llarry

Go to Top of Page

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Promote Greek Learning

Use Elpenor's Libraries and Greek Language departments to stimulate your thinking. To refer to a text there published, just copy its url and paste it in your post. ||| Get updates of all Ellopos sites by e-mail. ||| Download Shortcuts for easy access to the Communities - or drag this icon and drop it in the Links bar of your browser :ELPENOR

Learned Freeware

Reference address : https://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/koinonia/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=282© Elpenor