KOINONIA Greek Forum Login To Start Posting!
KOINONIA - Greek Forum
Profile | Active Topics | Latest Topics | Latest Replies | Popular
RSS Feed | Partners | Search | AFQ

» Forgot your Password?

All Communities
 The language
 Speaking Greek
 The letter J
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Registration is closed. The Forum remains available only as a source of published information.

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cthomas

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2006 :  19:11:03  

I have just started taking a New Testament Greek class. And while learning the Alphabet I see there is no J. So how do they get the letter J in the name of John in the Greek New Testament as in Mark 1:4?

George

Greece
615 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2006 :  13:05:27  

The name “John” is a translation, not the original. The Greek for John is Ioannes, which doesn’t have a J but an I. For the (rare) sound of J, usually appearing in words imported in Greek from other languages, the combination of T and Z is used.

Go to Top of Page

cthomas

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2006 :  07:00:45  

[?] I don't understand what you meant by "the combination of T and Z is used" Does it make sound different? Would you elaborate some on this?

Go to Top of Page

George

Greece
615 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2006 :  12:31:28  

To pronounce the English "John" in Greek we would write Τζών, and there is no other way of transliterating it.

Go to Top of Page

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Promote Greek Learning

Use Elpenor's Libraries and Greek Language departments to stimulate your thinking. To refer to a text there published, just copy its url and paste it in your post. ||| Get updates of all Ellopos sites by e-mail. ||| Download Shortcuts for easy access to the Communities - or drag this icon and drop it in the Links bar of your browser :ELPENOR

Learned Freeware

Reference address : https://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/koinonia/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=189© Elpenor