KOINONIA Greek Forum Login To Start Posting!
KOINONIA - Greek Forum
Profile | Active Topics | Latest Topics | Latest Replies | Popular
RSS Feed | Partners | Search | AFQ

» Forgot your Password?

All Communities
 The language
 Speaking Greek
 Ancient Greek Quotations
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Registration is closed. The Forum remains available only as a source of published information.

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Chris Macheras

Australia
2 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2005 :  05:34:12  

When i get married I want to inscribe an ancient Greek quotation from a famous Greek from Ancient times. I want to have my Greek culture with me wherever I go because it gives me pride and a sense of belonging. Could anyone please give me any famous short greek quotes in the original text and the english and modern greek translation if possible. They could be from anyone like Alexander the Great, Soctrates, Plato, Aristotle, Pericles, Herodotus, Homer, Thoukididis, or even an ancient Greek God. I would really appreciate it. I would also like to spell my name, (Chris Macheras) in ancient greek if any different from the modern Greek name, (Χρηστος Μαχαιρας).
Thank - you

George

Greece
615 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2005 :  11:14:56  

A question: does one have Greek culture because of wearing a ring with Greek letters? Your name is spelled the same in ancient and modern Greek, but this or anything will be of no use, if you don’t know Greek yourself. My advice for you would be not to prepare rings with quotations, but to learn Greek.

Learn Modern Greek very well, and then or together, start learning ancient Greek.

Go to Top of Page

Istor the Macedonian

Greece
1 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2005 :  20:47:41  

My favour passage is this from Thucydides, especially the last two sentences.

Istor

Go to Top of Page

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Promote Greek Learning

Use Elpenor's Libraries and Greek Language departments to stimulate your thinking. To refer to a text there published, just copy its url and paste it in your post. ||| Get updates of all Ellopos sites by e-mail. ||| Download Shortcuts for easy access to the Communities - or drag this icon and drop it in the Links bar of your browser :ELPENOR

Learned Freeware

Reference address : https://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/koinonia/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=103© Elpenor