KOINONIA Greek Forum Login To Start Posting!
KOINONIA - Greek Forum
Profile | Active Topics | Latest Topics | Latest Replies | Popular
RSS Feed | Partners | Search | AFQ

» Forgot your Password?

All Communities
 The language
 Interpretation
 What is the Greek for the Natural Law
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Registration is closed. The Forum remains available only as a source of published information.

Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

George

Greece
615 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2011 :  18:29:42  

I thought about your study as I was reading Natural Law and Divine Law — The Objective Foundations of Morality, a chapter from The Greatness of Christianity, A book by Dinesh D'Souza. Other chapters of the same book may also be useful to you. Kind regards.

Go to Top of Page

Aristokles

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2011 :  19:14:13  

Actually George, this additional project of ellopos.net is more than useful for all of us. Many, many thanks for this new (to me) resource.

Go to Top of Page

WHEELER

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2011 :  13:52:41  

Back again. In my readings, I have only read the Republic trans. by Jowett. I liked it a lot. Never went to anything else. I have Edith Hamilton's Platonic Dialogues. She has Paul Shorey as her translator here.

Because I stuck with Jowett, I ran across "according to nature". I am now just reading Shorey's translation in Hamilton. And he has this

428e. "Then it is by virtue of its smallest class [the philosopher guardians] . . . and the wisdom () that resides therein, in the part which takes the lead and rules, that a city established on principles of nature would be wise () as a whole."

(Which I didn't have to retype because you have it on your site already here : www.ellopos.net/elpenor/koinonia/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=321" target="_blank">https://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/koinonia/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=321 )

Now, I got burned last time. Is it "kata physi" or is it "principles of nature" and if so what is the Greek? This is important.

Go to Top of Page

George

Greece
615 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2011 :  14:30:40  

Glad you continue with your studies Wheeler. The phrase you ask for is "kata physin". Here is your complete sentence: 428.e.7-9 Τῷ σμικροτάτῳ ἄρα ἔθνει καὶ μέρει ἑαυτῆς καὶ τῇ ἐν τούτῳ ἐπιστήμῃ͵ τῷ προεστῶτι καὶ ἄρχοντι͵ ὅλη σοφὴ ἂν εἴη κατὰ φύσιν οἰκισθεῖσα πόλις.

Go to Top of Page

WHEELER

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2011 :  14:55:14  

I was going to post a link with the list of the real original natural laws and I forgot to do so.

Here is the link to the real original natural laws

Go to Top of Page

Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Promote Greek Learning

Use Elpenor's Libraries and Greek Language departments to stimulate your thinking. To refer to a text there published, just copy its url and paste it in your post. ||| Get updates of all Ellopos sites by e-mail. ||| Download Shortcuts for easy access to the Communities - or drag this icon and drop it in the Links bar of your browser :ELPENOR

Learned Freeware

Reference address : https://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/koinonia/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=396© Elpenor