KOINONIA Greek Forum Login To Start Posting!
KOINONIA - Greek Forum
Profile | Active Topics | Latest Topics | Latest Replies | Popular
RSS Feed | Partners | Search | AFQ

» Forgot your Password?

All Communities
 The language
 Interpretation
 What is the Greek for the Natural Law
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Registration is closed. The Forum remains available only as a source of published information.

Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

WHEELER

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2008 :  07:06:00  

The Romans have this called "res naturlis" meaning the Natural Law. The Romans divided law into three sections, the "res divina" (The Divine Law), the "res naturalis"(The Natural Law), and the "res publica" (The Public Law or Law of the Public). (We get the word Republic from this "res publica"). The Romans were a little more organized than the Greeks in this regard; they were the lawyers of the ancient world.

The Greeks had the Cosmos and understood that there is a Logos embeded in the Cosmos. Doric Philosophy which Pythagoreanian philosophy is a part of, studied this Res naturalis. Is it safe to say that the res naturalis of the Romans is the Logos for the Greek? Is there a Greek word for the Natural Law? or is it just the Logos?

I have recently had an article published at SPARTA magazine called, "Doric Crete and Sparta, the Home of Greek Philosophy"

My supposition is that Doric Philosophy which studied the Logos is synonymous with the natural Law.

George

Greece
615 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2008 :  10:55:42  

Now you come to nonsense. What "Doric Philosophy" is the home of Greek philosophy!!? Spartans are well known precisely for not having much to do with philosophy.

Go to Top of Page

WHEELER

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2008 :  17:05:19  

My same friend posts this on the natural law:

"On natural law, the main concepts in Greek are "kataphysin", according to nature, or "para physin,"contrary to nature. There's also "right by nature,"which is something like "dike physei" or "physeidikaion." (Phusis is apparently an alternatetransliteration of Physis, "nature")"

So here is a connection between the Natural law and dike.

Go to Top of Page

WHEELER

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2008 :  13:21:09  

The Natural Law is the foundation of Western Law and Culture. The Natural Law is very much part and parcel of Western Thought. Roman Catholic Christianity uses the Natural Law in all of its applications. In my paper "The Spartan Republic", I point out that the Doric Greeks copied the principles and paradigms from the Natural Order and applied to the formation of their form of governments. The naming of the upper body of the Cretan republics, The Cosmi, I believe, correct me if I am wrong, come from the word "Cosmos". Their city-states mirrored the cosmos, ordered beauty, so their name for their leadership was called Cosmi signifying their imitation and emulation of the Cosmos.

The Natural Law is Order, the Principle of the Golden Mean (or Unity of Opposites), the principle of macrocosm/microcosm (As above, so below), the principle "The Rule of One is Best", "The parts make up the whole", harmony (equilibrium), symetry, proportion, righteousness or dike. This is what makes up the Natural Law and it is this that is Doric Philosophy. Socrates and Plato were transmitters of Doric Philosophy. The Natural Law is very important and integral to Western Civilization.

Go to Top of Page

WHEELER

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2008 :  05:05:46  

From the "Introduction" to Edith Hamilton's Bollingen Series, "Dialogues of Plato":

""Many strands are interwoven in the dialogues but always at the center as their meaning is the Greek insight that Reason, the logos, is nature steering all things from within. In this approach nature is neither supernatural nor material; it is an organic whole, and man is not outside nature but within it"".

Looking at the Nature, the Greeks saw Order. And that Order presupposes Reason/Intelligence. The Reason/Intelligence that guided, directed and constructed the Natural Order is the Logos. The discovery and apprehension of the Natural Law is what Greek Philosophy is; or more importantly Doric Philosophy.

If the Greek for the natural law is "kataphysin", can we not say that "Logos" is also the Natural Law? Logos/kataphysin is Greek for "Natural Law"?

Go to Top of Page

George

Greece
615 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2008 :  06:07:31  

I must say - in public - that I won't let you continue in this forum the nonsense about the "supreme" doric philosophy. We know of many philosophers and philosophical discussions in Athens and elsewhere - not in Sparta. The rest are speculations. So, you are warned, your "doric-philosophy" messages are going to be deleted.

Go to Top of Page

Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Promote Greek Learning

Use Elpenor's Libraries and Greek Language departments to stimulate your thinking. To refer to a text there published, just copy its url and paste it in your post. ||| Get updates of all Ellopos sites by e-mail. ||| Download Shortcuts for easy access to the Communities - or drag this icon and drop it in the Links bar of your browser :ELPENOR

Learned Freeware

Reference address : https://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/koinonia/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=396© Elpenor