KOINONIA Greek Forum Login To Start Posting!
KOINONIA - Greek Forum
Profile | Active Topics | Latest Topics | Latest Replies | Popular
RSS Feed | Partners | Search | AFQ

» Forgot your Password?

All Communities
 The language
 Speaking Greek
 Theories of pronouncing ancient Greek
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Registration is closed. The Forum remains available only as a source of published information.

Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

giovanni

Italy
45 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2009 :  13:02:44  

Well, the ancient Greek pronunciation is a highly debated question. We have Joh. Reuchlin (1455-1522) who adopted the modern greek pronunciation, that is, among other things, no aspiration in case of asper spirit and η pronounced like i. He has been questioned, with some reason, by Erasmus von Rotterdam (1467-1536), in the DIALOGUS DE RECTA LATINI GRAECIQUE SERMONIS PRONUNTIATIONE, Basileae 1528. According to him, for instance, η is between a und e, that is as an open e. If we remember Sextus Empiricus, Against the Professors, I, 115, where it is said that η and ε have the same force, we see that his grounds are right. Further, if we remember Prisciani Institutiones XII, II, 9, we see that he compares the greek postpositive article, ὅς ἥ ὅ to the latin pronomen hic haec hoc, so it is obvious that that the asper spirit meant, in ancient times, an aspiration.
For more on this argument, you can see ASFUERLICHE GRAMMATIK DER GRIECHISCHEN SPRACHE by R. Kuehner und F. Blass.

Go to Top of Page

Paulo RF

Brazil
1 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2010 :  11:23:26  

When i started my study of Greek (it happened a long time ago; actually I'm a beginner) I had a "scholar's prejudice", I preferred the study of ancient Greek, and I believed that a scholar's pronunciation, doubtless, was right. So when I found this site I liked the way of learning Greek and the modern pronunciation sounds good to me now. I agree with George's arguments, I search for the living language. Thanks for these classes.

Go to Top of Page

Philios

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2010 :  05:04:37  

Well said, George! I wholeheartedly agree with the value of using Modern Greek pronunciation, even though I just switched to it this year. Language pronunciation, even of an ancient language, should sound natural. For the same reasons, I apply this concept to my pronunciation of Latin, having recently changed to the Spanish pronunciation (not hard for me, since I'm a Spanish teacher). For the same reason, the preference for many of the Ecclesiastical Latin accent, based on Italian, makes perfect sense to me.

Philios

Go to Top of Page

Philios

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2010 :  17:09:56  

Χαιρε, George!

"Teach Yourself Greek", by F. Kinchin Smith and T.W. Melluish, which is one source of info on Classical Greek I have, says that in modern Greek Χ is pronounced both like "ch" in Scottish "loch" (apparently, I gather, like in German "ach") and like the "ch" in German "ich". However, they give no examples.

I had 2 years of German in college, so I know how to make both sounds. It would help to know if this is accurate, however, and when to use which.

Philios

Go to Top of Page

Philios

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2010 :  17:28:18  

I just listened to Ephesians 1 from Greek-Latin Audio.com, which uses Modern Greek pronunciation, and it sounds like the Χ is being pronounced almost as a "k". But maybe my hearing is off a little...I have a lot of sinus trouble.

Philios

Go to Top of Page

Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Promote Greek Learning

Use Elpenor's Libraries and Greek Language departments to stimulate your thinking. To refer to a text there published, just copy its url and paste it in your post. ||| Get updates of all Ellopos sites by e-mail. ||| Download Shortcuts for easy access to the Communities - or drag this icon and drop it in the Links bar of your browser :ELPENOR

Learned Freeware

Reference address : https://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/koinonia/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15© Elpenor