KOINONIA Greek Forum Login To Start Posting!
KOINONIA - Greek Forum
Profile | Active Topics | Latest Topics | Latest Replies | Popular
RSS Feed | Partners | Search | AFQ

» Forgot your Password?

All Communities
 History, Culture, Society
 Announcements & Various discussions
 New Book The Case of the Barefoot Socrates
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Registration is closed. The Forum remains available only as a source of published information.

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

WHEELER

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2014 :  05:39:03  

I published a paper seven years ago, "Doric Crete and Sparta, the home of Greek philosophy" and as to date, nobody has heard about it. The title of the paper is taken from Socrates who said that very thing in the Protagoras. Since 2007, book after book is still being written on Classical Philosophy without acknowledging Crete and Sparta. Since no one has taken up the mantle, I wrote a follow-up that should lock it up:

The Case of the Barefoot Socrates

This should end all skepticism that Crete and Sparta are the home of Greek philosophy. It pulls in all the other ancillary and circumstantial evidence to prove outside the Protagoras statement that Socrates wasn't lying.

For instance, this is what Plato wrote in the Republic:

“…that a city established on principles of nature would be wise as a whole.” (Hamilton, 1963: Resp. §428e)

That city is the Doric Greek republics of Crete and Laconia.

The book is online and free.

People who do philosophy need to update their knowledge to the truth. The Doric Greeks created/invented philosophy not the Ionians. The proof is in their government.

George

Greece
615 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2014 :  06:30:16  

I'm publishing it in case someone is interested, although the subject is discussed in this forum, and www.ellopos.net/elpenor/koinonia/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=396" target="_blank">there was no real argument (nor can it be) for Sparta 'against' the Ionians as regards philosophy.

Go to Top of Page

Aristokles

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2014 :  08:03:49  

Does the lament that "no one has heard of it" mean peer rejected, or ignored? I'd like to know before investing the time to wade through it,

Go to Top of Page

WHEELER

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2014 :  16:00:16  

In answer to Aristokles, the first article was peer reviewed. The paper was published in London. When I say "nobody has heard of it", I am referring to a philosophy professor, Peter Adamson, who works at King's College in London who runs the website, "History of Philosophy without any gaps" who just published a book called "Classical Philosophy" and he never heard of the paper or that Crete and Sparta may have a hand in Greek philosophy.

I guess nobody is going to talk about it and so it will suffer "death by silence" in hopes it goes away. You'd think that at least people who work in London would know what is being published in London.

Go to Top of Page

Aristokles

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2014 :  06:29:10  

Thanks for your polite reply, WHEELER. I'm game to give it a go although my reading will not be any feather in your cap, I'm afraid. I am pretty hard into the Ionian camp myself but one needs to be challenged once in a while.

Go to Top of Page

WHEELER

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2014 :  12:46:31  

Aristokles, I do want some feedback and please give it good and hard. Iron sharpens iron. I would ask that you read the paper as well. There is some information in the first article which is not in the second. I can send you the first paper if you don't want to pay for a subscription to read it.

As Socrates said, "Concept precedes knowledge". I did my work on what a republic was first. Then, I wrote about the philosophical connection. You need to read first "The Spartan Republic"; it is online and free.
http://www.sparta.markoulakispublications.org.uk/index.php?id=105

Read that first. Then, the paper. Finally, the book because the information is so new, so upending, one must walk himself thru it.

Go to Top of Page

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Promote Greek Learning

Use Elpenor's Libraries and Greek Language departments to stimulate your thinking. To refer to a text there published, just copy its url and paste it in your post. ||| Get updates of all Ellopos sites by e-mail. ||| Download Shortcuts for easy access to the Communities - or drag this icon and drop it in the Links bar of your browser :ELPENOR

Learned Freeware

Reference address : https://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/koinonia/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=612© Elpenor