KOINONIA Greek Forum Login To Start Posting!
KOINONIA - Greek Forum
Profile | Active Topics | Latest Topics | Latest Replies | Popular
RSS Feed | Partners | Search | AFQ

» Forgot your Password?

All Communities
 History, Culture, Society
 New Hellenism
 Meaning and content of fornication, Matthew 19
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Registration is closed. The Forum remains available only as a source of published information.

Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Stavros

Greece
1 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2013 :  13:21:46  

Could you please help with the meaning and content of the word "fornication" in the phrase "Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication..." in Matthew Chapter 19.9?

George

Greece
615 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2013 :  18:02:44  

It means sexual intercourse with any person except the spouse.

Go to Top of Page

Aristokles

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2013 :  08:51:59  

Really? I have always taken this to mean that ONLY fornication (as George has so defined it) would be a reason to "put aside one's wife". In other words, the only basis for a marriage ending (or being recognized as dead) is adultery.

Go to Top of Page

George

Greece
615 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2013 :  10:03:12  

We can think also why fornication is defined as the single reason for divorce.

In my opinion, sexual intercourse with another person signifies in the most certain or obvious way that the couple is practically already separated, it proves that they don't love each other enough to keep even this basic element of the exclusivity of their relationship.

If this reading is correct, then fornication is just a characteristic case, it shows that a marriage should be formally ended only when it is essentially ended. For example, if your spouse gets easily ungry, this doesn't prove necessarily a deep separation.

I believe that we should not read the advice as if it was a court law, but to understand its spirit, to discover the whole field of references in the life of a couple that would explain their essential separation and justify it even formally. The advice means, if I understand it well, that a couple may get a divorce if at least one of them doesn't love the other, and only then.

Go to Top of Page

Aristokles

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2013 :  10:33:10  

I do not disagree, George. What I did post was my understanding of what is accepted in the venue of an Ecclesiastic Court for Permission to Remarry, which I guess by definition is a legalistic application.

Go to Top of Page

George

Greece
615 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2013 :  10:45:07  

Is this what happens in the US? Because in Greece, so far as I know, fornication is not the only case when the Church accepts the divorce of a couple. Practically, it is enough for (any of) them to just want a divorce, and a divorce is granted.

Go to Top of Page

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Promote Greek Learning

Use Elpenor's Libraries and Greek Language departments to stimulate your thinking. To refer to a text there published, just copy its url and paste it in your post. ||| Get updates of all Ellopos sites by e-mail. ||| Download Shortcuts for easy access to the Communities - or drag this icon and drop it in the Links bar of your browser :ELPENOR

Learned Freeware

Reference address : https://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/koinonia/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=583© Elpenor