KOINONIA Greek Forum Login To Start Posting!
KOINONIA - Greek Forum
Profile | Active Topics | Latest Topics | Latest Replies | Popular
RSS Feed | Partners | Search | AFQ

» Forgot your Password?

All Communities
 The language
 Speaking Greek
 I need help to translate a love message
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Registration is closed. The Forum remains available only as a source of published information.

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pen

3 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2011 :  01:12:50  

Hi!

I'm a new member here... My boyfriend is Greek and has been helping me learn. I want to write him a nice message in Greek but I am not sure if my translation is correct... please let me know!

- I love having you in my life.
σε αγάπω θα έχω σου στη ζωή μου

George

Greece
615 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2011 :  03:09:52  

Hi Pen! I can't say your attempt is successful, you need to have more care in your studying (and in your life too...).

"I love having you in my life": μοῦ ἀρέσει ποὺ σὲ ἔχω στὴν ζωή μου.

I translate "I love" as if you said "I like", because this is what your sentence means. Otherwise you should say "I love you", and not "I love having you"...

Go to Top of Page

Pen

3 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2011 :  06:38:25  

Thank you George! My boyfriend is actually a wonderful teacher but I'm a slow student. My problem was in translating "having you"... I actually do know that (μοῦ ἀρέσει) means "I like" but as you know, in English "love" has more emphasis.

Anyway, my question to you is this, why did you use (πού)? I know it means where/that...

Go to Top of Page

George

Greece
615 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2011 :  06:56:11  

Ποὺ here has the meaning of "that", making the second sentence the object of the first. The first (primary) sentence declares that "I love", and the second defines the object: I love "that you are in my life". Instead of using an infinitive (having, ἔχειν) I analysed it: Μοῦ ἀρέσει ποὺ σὲ ἔχω στὴν ζωή μου, τὸ ὅτι σὲ ἔχω στὴν ζωή μου.

Go to Top of Page

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Promote Greek Learning

Use Elpenor's Libraries and Greek Language departments to stimulate your thinking. To refer to a text there published, just copy its url and paste it in your post. ||| Get updates of all Ellopos sites by e-mail. ||| Download Shortcuts for easy access to the Communities - or drag this icon and drop it in the Links bar of your browser :ELPENOR

Learned Freeware

Reference address : https://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/koinonia/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=566© Elpenor