KOINONIA Greek Forum Login To Start Posting!
KOINONIA - Greek Forum
Profile | Active Topics | Latest Topics | Latest Replies | Popular
RSS Feed | Partners | Search | AFQ

» Forgot your Password?

All Communities
 The language
 Speaking Greek
 Translating St. Gregory
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Registration is closed. The Forum remains available only as a source of published information.

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Valaraukarsbane

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2010 :  16:06:20  

I am trying to translate the following passage from a Baptismal Oration of St. Gregory the Theologian.
τριῶν ἀπείρων ἄπειρον συμφυΐαν, Θεὸν ἕκαστον καθ' ἑαυτὸ θεωρούμενον, ὡς Πατέρα καὶ Υἱὸν, ὡς Υἱὸν καὶ τὸ ἅγιον Πνεῦμα, φυλασσομένης ἑκάστῳ τῆς ἰδιότητος. Θεὸν τὰ τρία σὺν ἀλλήλοις νοούμενα, ἐκεῖνο διὰ τὴν ὁμοουσιότητα, τοῦτο διὰ τὴν μοναρ χίαν.
My question is, to which statement does the ἐκεῖνο and τοῦτο refer here? From looking at a paraphrase, it appears the ἐκεῖνο refers to 'Θεὸν ἕκαστον καθ' ἑαυτὸ θεωρούμενον,' and τοῦτο refers to 'Θεὸν τὰ τρία σὺν ἀλλήλοις νοούμενα.' Is this correct?
Thanks!

George

Greece
615 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2010 :  16:31:57  

You can locate both of your references inside the same phrase: ἐκεῖνο [Θεὸν] διὰ τὴν ὁμοουσιότητα, τοῦτο [σὺν ἀλλήλοις νοούμενα] διὰ τὴν μοναρχίαν. The meaning is that each of them is the God because of their common divine essence, and that they are perceived together (σὺν ἀλλήλοις τὰ τρία) because they are only one God (μοναρχία).

As Browne and Swallow translate, "the infinite conjunction of Three Infinite Ones, Each God when considered in Himself; as the Father so the Son, as the Son so the Holy Ghost; the Three One God when contemplated together; Each God because Consubstantial; One God because of the Monarchia. No sooner do I conceive of the One than I am illumined by the Splendour of the Three; no sooner do I distinguish Them than I am carried back to the One." (See www.elpenor.org/gregory-nazianzen/holy-baptism.asp?pg=27" target="_top">Gregory the Theologian, On Holy Baptism - Oration XL, p. 27)

Go to Top of Page

Valaraukarsbane

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2010 :  17:54:28  

So the ἐκεῖνο does refer back to the Θεὸν ἕκαστον καθ' ἑαυτὸ θεωρούμενον?

Go to Top of Page

George

Greece
615 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2010 :  19:15:08  

You have Θεὸν in the same phrase: Θεὸν τὰ τρία σὺν ἀλλήλοις νοούμενα, ἐκεῖνο διὰ τὴν ὁμοουσιότητα, τοῦτο διὰ τὴν μοναρχίαν.

Go to Top of Page

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Promote Greek Learning

Use Elpenor's Libraries and Greek Language departments to stimulate your thinking. To refer to a text there published, just copy its url and paste it in your post. ||| Get updates of all Ellopos sites by e-mail. ||| Download Shortcuts for easy access to the Communities - or drag this icon and drop it in the Links bar of your browser :ELPENOR

Learned Freeware

Reference address : https://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/koinonia/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=548© Elpenor