KOINONIA Greek Forum Login To Start Posting!
KOINONIA - Greek Forum
Profile | Active Topics | Latest Topics | Latest Replies | Popular
RSS Feed | Partners | Search | AFQ

» Forgot your Password?

All Communities
 The language
 Interpretation
 From Iliad 11th book, Greek original
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Registration is closed. The Forum remains available only as a source of published information.

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

heather.lewis

2 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2009 :  16:25:03  

Hi there, I was wondering if anyone could help me with where I could find a greek version of the text - "be strong, saith my heart; I am a soldier; I have seen sights worse than this" - which is from the 11th book of the Iliad. Many thanks

George

Greece
615 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2009 :  01:44:37  

Check the www.ellopos.net/elpenor/greek-texts/ancient-greece/homer/iliad-11.asp" target="_blank">11th book of the Iliad.

Go to Top of Page

heather.lewis

2 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2009 :  13:20:22  

Hi, thanks for letting me know! It is actually from a fictional book so I guess they made it up, it says its when Odysseus is alone on enemy territory but I guess it all could have been made up. many thanks.

Go to Top of Page

Aristokles

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2009 :  23:41:18  

Is it in the Odyssey?

Go to Top of Page

noam

1 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2013 :  14:48:17  

I don't know if anyone will see this but I spent a long time searching for the origin of this quote, so I thought I'd put it here so that if anyone else is looking I can save them the time. Donna Tartt is in fact quoting a line from Homer, but it is from the Odyssey, not the Iliad. It is from www.ellopos.net/elpenor/greek-texts/ancient-greece/homer/odyssey-20.asp">book 20, when Odysseus has returned home and is pondering what to do about the suitors in his home. He says to himself (line 18):
τέτλαθι δή, κραδίη: καὶ κύντερον ἄλλο ποτ᾽ ἔτλης. Literally: "Take courage, my heart: you have been through worse than this." So basically, the quote is from Odyssey 20:18, slightly altered, and with a totally different description. But it's real Homer.

Go to Top of Page

Aristokles

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2013 :  22:36:54  

Thanks, Noam. Yes, your diligence is appreciated (and your post seen- smile).
I kind of suspected it to be in that work but it has been over forty years since I spent serious time in the Odyssey.

Go to Top of Page

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Promote Greek Learning

Use Elpenor's Libraries and Greek Language departments to stimulate your thinking. To refer to a text there published, just copy its url and paste it in your post. ||| Get updates of all Ellopos sites by e-mail. ||| Download Shortcuts for easy access to the Communities - or drag this icon and drop it in the Links bar of your browser :ELPENOR

Learned Freeware

Reference address : https://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/koinonia/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=520© Elpenor