KOINONIA Greek Forum Login To Start Posting!
KOINONIA - Greek Forum
Profile | Active Topics | Latest Topics | Latest Replies | Popular
RSS Feed | Partners | Search | AFQ

» Forgot your Password?

All Communities
 The language
 Speaking Greek
 Hofmann's Greek Etymological Dictionary
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Registration is closed. The Forum remains available only as a source of published information.

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lia Gkas

Greece
1 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2009 :  16:18:30  

Hello people, I'm Lia , a Classical, Byzantine and Modern Greek philologist from Athens Greece. This is Hofmann's Etymological Dictionary, a reference lexicon that anyone who studies Greek and Ancient Greek must have in his library.

Hope you like it!

Regards

Fr. Athanasios

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2009 :  19:07:59  

Dear Lia,

I did download the Etimologikon lexikon but I cannot open it because is asking me for a program associated with the download. Can you help me out please?
Thank you very much!
In Christ,
+ Fr. Athanasios

[Elpenor's note. Fr Athanasios gave his personal email for contact, but it was removed from this message, in order for him to be protected from spam messages that robots send to addresses gathered from web pages.]

Go to Top of Page

George

Greece
615 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2009 :  02:42:53  

Dear Father,

You need a pdf reader to read documents with the *.pdf extension. You can get the Adobe reader, or a lighter one - www.thefreewindows.com/?tag=pdf" target="_blank">https://www.thefreewindows.com/?tag=pdf

Go to Top of Page

Fr. Athanasios

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2009 :  08:42:10  

Dear George,

Thank you very much for your reply. I do have Adobe 8.1 pro, however the problem was in the extention .rar of the download which is a zip program that I did not have. After I figured out what I was missing, I did download a free rar unzip and it worked out fine. I was able to open the lexicon and now have it in my "pdf" files.

Thank you very much for your reply!

In Christ,

Fr. Athanasios

Go to Top of Page

giovanni

Italy
45 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2009 :  05:50:28  

Well, perhaps this Etymological Dictionary is protected by the copyright, remember that by international convention the copyright expires 70 years after the death of the autor, only then a book or any other product of human mind becomes of public domain.

Anyhow, don't be afraid, you can find quite a lot of books the copyright of which has expired, on GoogleBooks and on the InternetArchive; in the specific instance, I found and downloaded the Etymologicon Graecae Linguae Gudianum, a good book. If you search carefully you will find quite a lot of greek books, I have downloaded a small bibliotek of these.

Go to Top of Page

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Promote Greek Learning

Use Elpenor's Libraries and Greek Language departments to stimulate your thinking. To refer to a text there published, just copy its url and paste it in your post. ||| Get updates of all Ellopos sites by e-mail. ||| Download Shortcuts for easy access to the Communities - or drag this icon and drop it in the Links bar of your browser :ELPENOR

Learned Freeware

Reference address : https://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/koinonia/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=512© Elpenor