KOINONIA Greek Forum Login To Start Posting!
KOINONIA - Greek Forum
Profile | Active Topics | Latest Topics | Latest Replies | Popular
RSS Feed | Partners | Search | AFQ

» Forgot your Password?

All Communities
 The language
 Speaking Greek
 Translation for a proverb.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Registration is closed. The Forum remains available only as a source of published information.

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

onclickBR

Brazil
3 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2008 :  16:36:39  

Hey guys, my name is Andre, i live in Brazil and in the next year i gonna get a tattoo. The idea is to make a homage to my family so i started to search some good proverb or quote related to family on the internet.

Then i found this:
Το αίμα νερό δε γίνεται.

Looks like the literal meaning by wikipedia is "Blood doesn't turn to water" and the real meaning is "Family will always be family".

What i want to know is: Is this right? Is both meaning correct? And, how is the pronunciation?

Sorry if i am in the wrong forum and sorry for my terrible english. =D

"Abraços" from Brazil.

George

Greece
615 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2008 :  01:58:44  

Hi Andre! Both meanings (literal and real) are correct. Here is the phrase in capital letters: ΤΟ ΑΙΜΑ ΝΕΡΟ ΔΕΝ ΓΙΝΕΤΑΙ - and in small letters: Τὸ αἷμα νερὸ δὲν γίνεται.

Perhaps this transliteration will help you pronounce it: "To ema nero then yinete". (Bold letters indicate special stressing).

Go to Top of Page

onclickBR

Brazil
3 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2008 :  05:50:19  

Thank you very much. This is very important to me, when i finish the tattoo i'll post a photo here.

Abraços

Go to Top of Page

onclickBR

Brazil
3 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2009 :  19:44:04  

Well, as i promised.

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/5704/dsc00032rj3.jpg

Thanks again.

Go to Top of Page

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Promote Greek Learning

Use Elpenor's Libraries and Greek Language departments to stimulate your thinking. To refer to a text there published, just copy its url and paste it in your post. ||| Get updates of all Ellopos sites by e-mail. ||| Download Shortcuts for easy access to the Communities - or drag this icon and drop it in the Links bar of your browser :ELPENOR

Learned Freeware

Reference address : https://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/koinonia/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=484© Elpenor