KOINONIA Greek Forum Login To Start Posting!
KOINONIA - Greek Forum
Profile | Active Topics | Latest Topics | Latest Replies | Popular
RSS Feed | Partners | Search | AFQ

» Forgot your Password?

All Communities
 History, Culture, Society
 Greece before Christ
 Plato's opinion about Salamina War
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Registration is closed. The Forum remains available only as a source of published information.

Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Bruno

Brazil
4 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  20:08:45  

Dear Elpenor,

First, I'd like to say that I love your site and your initiative to offer all this content. I'm a researcher in ancient thought, especially on Plato's thinking. I'm writting asking you for help. I was reading a book these days about Salamina's war, when the Greeks fought against the Persians. At this book, the author said that Plato thought that this war made the Greeks worse as a community. This opinion sounds very interesting, but the author didn't left any references. I'm doing a research about the concepts of 'Polemos' and 'Stasis' on Plato's thought, and I tried to find his opinions about Salamina's war, but with no success. Do you have any idea of where Plato would state his opinion about the Salamina's war?

Thanks in advance
Bruno

George

Greece
615 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  02:13:06  

Thanks for writing Bruno,

Plato doesn't say that the war made the Greeks worse, but, if I understand well, that having power and prosperity can result to corruption. The war by itself (according to Plato) was good and those who fought should be honoured. Arrogance because of power or other virtues is a human frailty, not the result of the war.

See Menexenus 241-5 and Laws 698-708. Try also a www.ellopos.net/search/search.php?query=Salamis&type=and&results=10&search=1">Plato Search for Salamis.

Go to Top of Page

Bruno

Brazil
4 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2008 :  13:13:16  

Thank you for the help, George.

I'm researching the concepts of "polemos" and "stasis" on Plato thought, and his input on Salamis' war would be a great thing to read. Thank you!

Bruno

Go to Top of Page

Bruno

Brazil
4 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2008 :  13:23:02  

Could anyone give me the Stephanus page on this passage of the Laws?

Thanks in advance.

"Ath. Why, yes; and that is an opinion which is widely spread both among Hellenes and barbarians. But Megillus and I say rather, that the battle of Marathon was the beginning, and the battle of Plataea the completion, of the great deliverance, and that these battles by land made the Hellenes better; whereas the sea - fights of Salamis and Artemisium - for I may as well put them both together - made them no better, if I may say so without offence about the battles which helped to save us. And in estimating the goodness of a state, we regard both the situation of the country and the order of the laws, considering that the mere preservation and continuance of life is not the most honourable thing for men, as the vulgar think, but the continuance of the best life, while we live; and that again, if I am jot mistaken, is remark which has been made already." - www.ellopos.net/elpenor/greek-texts/ancient-greece/plato/plato-laws-2.asp?pg=16">Plato, Laws, Part 2 Page 16

Go to Top of Page

George

Greece
615 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2008 :  14:07:28  

707c-d: Καὶ γὰρ οἱ πολλοὶ τῶν Ἑλλήνων τε καὶ βαρβάρων λέγουσι ταῦτα. ἡμεῖς δέ, ὦ φίλε, ἐγώ τε καὶ ὅδε, Μέγιλλος, φαμὲν τὴν πεζὴν μάχην τὴν ἐν Μαραθῶνι γενομένην καὶ ἐν Πλαταιαῖς, τὴν μὲν ἄρξαι τῆς σωτηρίας τοῖς Ἕλλησι τὴν δὲ τέλος ἐπιθεῖναι, καὶ τὰς μὲν βελτίους τοὺς Ἕλληνας ποιῆσαι, τὰς δὲ οὐ βελτίους, ἵν᾽ οὕτως λέγωμεν περὶ τῶν τότε συσσωσασῶν ἡμᾶς μαχῶν· πρὸς γὰρ τῇ περὶ Σαλαμῖναν τὴν περὶ τὸ Ἀρτεμίσιόν σοι προσθήσω κατὰ θάλατταν μάχην. ἀλλὰ γὰρ ἀποβλέποντες νῦν πρὸς πολιτείας ἀρετήν, καὶ χώρας φύσιν σκοπούμεθα καὶ νόμων τάξιν, οὐ τὸ σῴζεσθαι τε καὶ εἶναι μόνον ἀνθρώποις τιμιώτατον ἡγούμενοι, καθάπερ οἱ πολλοί, τὸ δ᾽ ὡς βελτίστους γίγνεσθαί τε καὶ εἶναι τοσοῦτον χρόνον ὅσον ἂν ὦσιν.

Go to Top of Page

Bruno

Brazil
4 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2008 :  19:32:51  

George:

Thank you for the reference.

It seems to me that Plato makes a distinction: some wars made the greek better (καὶ τὰς μὲν βελτίους τοὺς Ἕλληνας ποιῆσαι), while the battles that happened at the sea did not made the greek better (τὰς δὲ οὐ βελτίους, if I'm not wrong).

Do you have any opinion on it? I mean, can you understand why he's, ahn, classifying the wars in this way?

Thanks in advance,

Bruno

Go to Top of Page

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Promote Greek Learning

Use Elpenor's Libraries and Greek Language departments to stimulate your thinking. To refer to a text there published, just copy its url and paste it in your post. ||| Get updates of all Ellopos sites by e-mail. ||| Download Shortcuts for easy access to the Communities - or drag this icon and drop it in the Links bar of your browser :ELPENOR

Learned Freeware

Reference address : https://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/koinonia/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=458© Elpenor