KOINONIA Greek Forum Login To Start Posting!
KOINONIA - Greek Forum
Profile | Active Topics | Latest Topics | Latest Replies | Popular
RSS Feed | Partners | Search | AFQ

» Forgot your Password?

All Communities
 The language
 Speaking Greek
 Help with a translation of Gregory Theologian
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Registration is closed. The Forum remains available only as a source of published information.

Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

crisoft

Romania
40 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2008 :  13:17:02  

I am having difficulties translating this sentence:

Τί τοσοῦτόν ἐστιν εἰπεῖν, ὅσον τοῖς ὀφθαλμοῖς πάρεστι βλέπειν;

It's at the start of one of Gregory of Nazianzos oration: On martyrs and against the arians.

Could you help me with this phrase, please?

Thank you in advance!

n/a

55 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2008 :  17:41:05  

Perhaps you tried to understand it too quickly, which means that the words are familiar to you, to some degree, but not enough. Next time try to think more on the words and/or syntax that seem 'strange' - and, read also some lines of the context.

Τοσοῦτον = so much, so great
ὅσον = as much, as great
ἔστιν εἰπεῖν = I can say, it can be said
πάρεστι = it exists beside us, right here

Notice the symmetries εἰπεῖν / βλέπειν and τοσοῦτον / ὅσον

I believe that now you will be able to translate it - if not, tell me to continue.

Go to Top of Page

crisoft

Romania
40 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2008 :  14:24:11  

Thank you!
Is this any good? "What can I say that is as great as that which is right here, for the eyes to see?"

Go to Top of Page

n/a

55 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2008 :  15:33:21  

Very good!

Go to Top of Page

crisoft

Romania
40 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2008 :  16:06:56  

Thank you very much. I really appreciate your help. You guys have been great :)

Go to Top of Page

crisoft

Romania
40 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2008 :  16:27:13  

Γειά σας, φίλοι

Call me stupid, but St. Gregory's writings seem a bit cryptic to me, or maybe it's because I'm such a beginner :). Here is what I am trying to translate:

Πῶς ὑμῖν τὰ ἡμέτερα, ὦ φίλοι ποιμένες καὶ συμποιμένες· ὧν ὡραῖοι μὲν
οἱ πόδες, εὐαγγελιζομένων εἰρήνην καὶ ἀγαθὰ, μεθ' ὧν ἐληλύθατε· ὡραῖοι δὲ τὰ
πρὸς ἡμᾶς, οἷς εἰς καιρὸν ἐληλύθατε, οὐχ ἵνα πρόβατον πλανώμενον ἐπιστρέψητε,
ἀλλ' ἵνα ποιμένα ἔκδημον ἐπισκέψησθε; Πῶς τὰ τῆς ἐκδημίας ὑμῖν ἔχει τῆς
ἡμετέρας; καὶ τίς ὁ ταύτης καρπὸς, μᾶλλον δὲ, τοῦ ἐν ἡμῖν Πνεύματος, ᾧ κινούμεθά
τε ἀεὶ, καὶ νῦν κεκινήμεθα, μηδὲν ἴδιον ἔχειν ἐπιθυμοῦντες, μήτ' ἴσως ἔχοντες;

This is what I've come with, so far: How are for you (or "what do you think about" ?) our affairs, beloved shepherds and fellow shepherds; who's feet are beautiful, announcing the peace and good things, with which you have come; beautiful [they are - the feet] for us, to whom you came at the right time, not to convert a lost sheep, but to listen carefully to a pilgrim shepherd? How is it for you ("what do you think about") this pilgrimage of ours? And about it's fruit, but more [the fruit] of the Spirit within us, by which we are always moved, and we have been moved now, neither wanting to have something of our own, and perhaps not having?

Then I got stuck. I'm not even sure that what I translated so far is really good enough. Can someone help me with this, maybe explain the words/syntax involved? I know it's a pain, but I'd appreciate it. I really want to learn, I'm studying each day, but sometimes I get stuck :).

Thank you,
Marian

Go to Top of Page

Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Promote Greek Learning

Use Elpenor's Libraries and Greek Language departments to stimulate your thinking. To refer to a text there published, just copy its url and paste it in your post. ||| Get updates of all Ellopos sites by e-mail. ||| Download Shortcuts for easy access to the Communities - or drag this icon and drop it in the Links bar of your browser :ELPENOR

Learned Freeware

Reference address : https://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/koinonia/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=434© Elpenor