KOINONIA Greek Forum Login To Start Posting!
KOINONIA - Greek Forum
Profile | Active Topics | Latest Topics | Latest Replies | Popular
RSS Feed | Partners | Search | AFQ

» Forgot your Password?

All Communities
 The language
 Speaking Greek
 Genesis 3:6 meaning of κατανοῆσαι
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Registration is closed. The Forum remains available only as a source of published information.

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

crisoft

Romania
40 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2008 :  04:23:02  

This is Genesis 3:6: καὶ εἶδεν ἡ γυνὴ ὅτι καλὸν τὸ ξύλον εἰς βρῶσιν καὶ ὅτι ἀρεστὸν τοῖς ὀφθαλμοῖς ἰδεῖν καὶ ὡραῖόν ἐστιν τοῦ κατανοῆσαι καὶ λαβοῦσα τοῦ καρποῦ αὐτοῦ ἔφαγεν καὶ ἔδωκεν καὶ τῷ ἀνδρὶ αὐτῆς μετ᾽ αὐτῆς καὶ ἔφαγον

Some translators have translated ὡραῖόν ἐστιν τοῦ κατανοῆσαι by "it is beautiful to watch", others by "...desirable to know", others by "...desirable to make one wise" or others by "beautiful in the appearance". It seems to me that "beautiful in appearance" is very different from "desirable to make one wise", so I was wondering what the correct sense is...

Thank you

George

Greece
615 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2008 :  09:08:35  

Thanks for bringing this verse to our attention. All those epithets together tend to describe an almost sexual relationship with the tree, involving the senses (vision, taste) and reaching knowledge - with knowing meaning also "to make love". This series is destroyed by those who translate katanoesai as if it was synonym of see, thus just repeating the previous part (areston idein). It seems to me obvious that some kind of reference to knowing is necessary here. "Desirable to know" comes close even to the sexual nuance. "Beautiful to know it thoroughly" would be a literal (I don't say 'best') translation.

Go to Top of Page

crisoft

Romania
40 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2008 :  10:33:25  

Thank you for your fast reply. So what does κατανοέω mean, actually? In my dictionaries I have "to observe, to perceive with the mind or with the senses". To me it seems close to "to contemplate", but I'm not sure if that's right.

Go to Top of Page

crisoft

Romania
40 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2008 :  10:44:16  

Also, what is the difference between ἀρεστὸν and ὡραῖόν ? In the romanian translations, they are almost identical ("beautiful, pleasant"). I understand ὡραῖόν actually means "proper, appropriate" instead?

Thank you for your help so far!

Go to Top of Page

George

Greece
615 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2008 :  05:18:45  

Κατανοῶ means, understand thoroughly, completely, perfectly.

Ἀρεστὸν is something we like, ὡραῖον is the beautiful. To realize the difference: something may be areston but not oraion, or something may be both areston and oraion, or oraion but not areston.

Go to Top of Page

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Promote Greek Learning

Use Elpenor's Libraries and Greek Language departments to stimulate your thinking. To refer to a text there published, just copy its url and paste it in your post. ||| Get updates of all Ellopos sites by e-mail. ||| Download Shortcuts for easy access to the Communities - or drag this icon and drop it in the Links bar of your browser :ELPENOR

Learned Freeware

Reference address : https://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/koinonia/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=372© Elpenor