KOINONIA Greek Forum Login To Start Posting!
KOINONIA - Greek Forum
Profile | Active Topics | Latest Topics | Latest Replies | Popular
RSS Feed | Partners | Search | AFQ

» Forgot your Password?

All Communities
 The language
 Speaking Greek
 Help with a translation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Registration is closed. The Forum remains available only as a source of published information.

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

crisoft

Romania
40 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2008 :  13:08:39  

Sorry for asking so much questions :(. I'm just trying to learn the language and I have some difficulties. How do you translate this: καὶ εἶπεν αὐτῷ τίς ἀνήγγειλέν σοι ὅτι γυμνὸς εἶ μὴ ἀπὸ τοῦ ξύλου οὗ ἐνετειλάμην σοι τούτου μόνου μὴ φαγεῖν ἀπ᾽ αὐτοῦ ἔφαγες ? I am interested in this part: μὴ ἀπὸ τοῦ ξύλου οὗ ἐνετειλάμην σοι τούτου μόνου μὴ φαγεῖν ἀπ᾽ αὐτοῦ ... First question is why ἀπ᾽ αὐτοῦ is needed when there is ἀπὸ τοῦ ξύλου before it? Then what's the relation between τοῦ ξύλου and τούτου μόνου ?

What I've come to so far is : "And He said to him: "Who told you that you are naked? Lest you ate from the tree which I commanded you from this alone do not eat from it?" ... I know, it sounds very bad...

Marian

George

Greece
615 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2008 :  05:29:59  

It's a matter of style, where emphasis is placed on the particular tree (this is why the repetition "ap autou". Your literal translation could be "lest from that tree, from which alone I commanded you not to eat, from that you ate". This is not that bad, I think, and it keeps the original emphasis.

Notice also how the original places the act of eating at the end of the sentence, where it repeats eating two times. You harry to mention eating, thus transforming a style that implies a most significant action, with the most important consequences, into a simple narration.

Go to Top of Page

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Promote Greek Learning

Use Elpenor's Libraries and Greek Language departments to stimulate your thinking. To refer to a text there published, just copy its url and paste it in your post. ||| Get updates of all Ellopos sites by e-mail. ||| Download Shortcuts for easy access to the Communities - or drag this icon and drop it in the Links bar of your browser :ELPENOR

Learned Freeware

Reference address : https://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/koinonia/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=371© Elpenor