KOINONIA Greek Forum Login To Start Posting!
KOINONIA - Greek Forum
Profile | Active Topics | Latest Topics | Latest Replies | Popular
RSS Feed | Partners | Search | AFQ

» Forgot your Password?

All Communities
 History, Culture, Society
 New Hellenism
 Interpretation of Unusual Icon Lettering
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Registration is closed. The Forum remains available only as a source of published information.

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ozgeorge

Australia
1 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2007 :  07:45:15  

If you click on any of the images in this post, you will get the larger version.
Below is a photograph of what I believe to be an antique reliquary made of brass, and about 4cm square with an opening at the top. It belongs to a Greek Orthodox family in Imvros.

Front of object:

What is of particular interest to me is the image on the reverse (pictured below).

Back of object:
It appears to be the image of the "Mystical Cross" with the Spear and Reed which appears on the "Great Schema" or "Analavon" worn by Orthodox Christian monks who have reached the highest grade of "Schemamonk".
Several things make me think that the image on the back of this object was used as a seal (and therefore, the image is reversed). If you flip the image horizontally, you get the mirror image which looks like this:

Reversed image:

Although reversing the image makes the letters "Κ" and "Ρ" appear correctly, however, the letter "Ν" is reversed. Either way, the last letter at the bottom of the reversed image appears to be the monogram for the diphthong "ου", which, I am told, neither occurs in Slavonic nor Coptic Icons. So I am pretty sure it is Greek.

The trouble is, no one so far has been able to interpret for certain what the letters stand for. I have a theory that the "K" stands for "καλάμων" and the "Λ" stands for "Λόγχη", but I would be happier with this theory if they were written at the same level. I also think the "N" and "A" at the top may be all that remains of the word "NIKA" as in "IC XC NIKA". But the rest of it is a mystery. Normally, at the base of the Mystical Cross, you find the letters: "ΤΚΠΓ" which stand for "Τοπος Κρανιου Παραδεισος Γεγονε", however, the letters at the base of the Cross in this instance have me baffled.
Can anyone help?

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Promote Greek Learning

Use Elpenor's Libraries and Greek Language departments to stimulate your thinking. To refer to a text there published, just copy its url and paste it in your post. ||| Get updates of all Ellopos sites by e-mail. ||| Download Shortcuts for easy access to the Communities - or drag this icon and drop it in the Links bar of your browser :ELPENOR

Learned Freeware

Reference address : https://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/koinonia/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=314© Elpenor