KOINONIA Greek Forum Login To Start Posting!
KOINONIA - Greek Forum
Profile | Active Topics | Latest Topics | Latest Replies | Popular
RSS Feed | Partners | Search | AFQ

» Forgot your Password?

All Communities
 The language
 Speaking Greek
 Iliad 1.39 - translating epi
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Registration is closed. The Forum remains available only as a source of published information.

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

megas_yiannakis

Australia
25 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2007 :  18:26:02  

Geia sas!

i have just a quick question that i cant seem to figure out... it the use of επί in line 39 of the Iliad...

Line 39:

Σμινθεύ, εί ποτέ τοι χαρίεντ' επί νηόν έρεψα

im just wondering how the word 'epi' should be translated here...

looking at it i get this translation:

Smintheus!, if ever i built (upon?) a pleasing temple for you...

any help would be appreciated

-Yiannis

George

Greece
615 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2007 :  00:19:21  

Hi John,

Think if ἐπὶ belongs to ἔρεψα, so that they should be translated together as ἐπέρρεψα, "dedicated to you", etc.

Go to Top of Page

Kevin

Canada
36 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2007 :  17:39:54  

Indeed, in English it would be like saying "I under the work took for you" instead of "I undertook the work for you".

Go to Top of Page

liumx

Malaysia
6 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2007 :  01:13:36  

Pharr's note points to 1049. Prepositions are used both with nouns and verbs, but are often separated from the words they modify, sometimes following them. This separation in the case of verbs has been incorrectly named tmesis (τμῆσις cutting)...

Both George and Kevin's answers maked good sense.

Go to Top of Page

jergarmar

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2007 :  12:32:03  

I understanding έρεψα can mean "built" or the more limited "built a roof". So your original translation is good: "If I ever built a roof upon your pleasing temple..."

--J.M.

Go to Top of Page

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Promote Greek Learning

Use Elpenor's Libraries and Greek Language departments to stimulate your thinking. To refer to a text there published, just copy its url and paste it in your post. ||| Get updates of all Ellopos sites by e-mail. ||| Download Shortcuts for easy access to the Communities - or drag this icon and drop it in the Links bar of your browser :ELPENOR

Learned Freeware

Reference address : https://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/koinonia/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=275© Elpenor