KOINONIA Greek Forum Login To Start Posting!
KOINONIA - Greek Forum
Profile | Active Topics | Latest Topics | Latest Replies | Popular
RSS Feed | Partners | Search | AFQ

» Forgot your Password?

All Communities
 The language
 Speaking Greek
 Various Ancient Greek words for God in NT
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Registration is closed. The Forum remains available only as a source of published information.

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

summerfest_01

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2007 :  16:13:12  

Hello all! I am new to this site, happened upon it by sheer serendipity. I have done a little research into the many different spellings and usages for the word GOD in the NT. John 1:1 uses different two different spellings. I thought someone might shed some light on this. I noticed various other alternate spellings in the NT as well, usually only differing by one letter at the end of the word for GOD, Θεός. One has a Y at the end, another, as in John 1:1, an N. Any insight is most appreciated. Thanks!

George

Greece
615 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2007 :  16:48:21  

Hi.

In English we say God, of God, to God, for God, etc. In Greek we use declensions, where a word changes according to its relation with other parts of the sentence : ΘΕΟΣ, ΘΕΟΥ, ΘΕΟΝ, ΘΕΩ, ΘΕΕ - are all the same word, which in nominative case is ΘΕΟΣ. The same in plural : ΘΕΟΙ, ΘΕΩΝ, ΘΕΟΙΣ, ΘΕΟΥΣ

You can read more about cases at www.ellopos.net/elpenor/lessons/lesson3.asp">Elpenor's 3rd lesson

Go to Top of Page

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Promote Greek Learning

Use Elpenor's Libraries and Greek Language departments to stimulate your thinking. To refer to a text there published, just copy its url and paste it in your post. ||| Get updates of all Ellopos sites by e-mail. ||| Download Shortcuts for easy access to the Communities - or drag this icon and drop it in the Links bar of your browser :ELPENOR

Learned Freeware

Reference address : https://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/koinonia/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=215© Elpenor