KOINONIA Greek Forum Login To Start Posting!
KOINONIA - Greek Forum
Profile | Active Topics | Latest Topics | Latest Replies | Popular
RSS Feed | Partners | Search | AFQ

» Forgot your Password?

All Communities
 The language
 Speaking Greek
 An easy way to learn Greek pronunciation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Registration is closed. The Forum remains available only as a source of published information.

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Winston

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2006 :  19:41:52  

Learning how to speak Greek.
Get Spiros Zhodiates modern Greek audio New Testament at Amazon, by typing in these exact words "Koine Greek New Testament by Spiros Zodhiates". Listen along to 1st John and a few chapters of the gospel of John several times, without reading anything. You just want to absorb these sounds. See my Jan. 22 post with an audio link to Zhodiates reading First John... www.ellopos.net/elpenor/koinonia/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=219

Then, assuming you know the letters, do it again, following along in an interlinear Greek-English New Testament. Just mimic the way he says the words. You will not only learn a beautiful way to say Greek, you will pick up a lot of vocabulary words with little effort. (The Erasmian pronounciation sounds terrible.) Once you learn to speak it, Greek becomes more alive and you can hear it in your mind when you read it.
If you want to branch off into Classical greek, get a copy of the interlinear Greek-English Xenophon's Anabasis.
This is the Koinonia link to a pdf file of the beginning chapters of this
Interlinear: www.ellopos.net/elpenor/koinonia/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=237" target="_blank">https://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/koinonia/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=237

Look it up on Abe Books.com There are not many out there for sale!! This is a wonderful narrative that's hard to put down--this makes the work of learning Greek much easier. After going through the interlinear version several times you will want to transition to Loeb's text of the Anabasis--with Greek on the left page and English on the right. This is much harder--but you can make progess by checking what you think the Greek means by skipping over to the English side. You can always look up the meaning of individual words in the Anabasis at the "Perseus" Greek site. Note this: the interlinear gives you ready access to a large quantity of Greek, without knowing very much grammar. You can download the Loeb edition of Zenophon's Anabasis at Google Book for free. [Note: read below this post for a direct clickable link to this book.]

Thomas Dohling

India
11 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2007 :  01:03:31  

"You can download the Loeb edition of Zenophon's Anabasis at Google Book for free."

Xenophon's Anabis - Loeb edition was not found at Google Book in any form. Kindly help me in find it wherever available. I'm learning Greek by myself from resources on the net and I'd welcome help from any source to aid me in my endeavour.

Thanks.

Go to Top of Page

Winston

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2007 :  13:26:24  

This is the direct link to the Loeb Anabasis Vol. 1

This is a direct link to a Greek Reader based on the first four books of Xenophon's Anabasis ( A 'Reader' has the Greek text with a lot of explanatory notes on the text in the back of the book.)

This is a direct link to an Interlinear with English words under the Greek words. It is for Xenophon's "Memorabilia". A problem
with this: they didn't put in accent marks.

Go to Top of Page

Thomas Dohling

India
11 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2007 :  00:55:15  

Thanks.

Go to Top of Page

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Promote Greek Learning

Use Elpenor's Libraries and Greek Language departments to stimulate your thinking. To refer to a text there published, just copy its url and paste it in your post. ||| Get updates of all Ellopos sites by e-mail. ||| Download Shortcuts for easy access to the Communities - or drag this icon and drop it in the Links bar of your browser :ELPENOR

Learned Freeware

Reference address : https://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/koinonia/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=201© Elpenor