KOINONIA Greek Forum Login To Start Posting!
KOINONIA - Greek Forum
Profile | Active Topics | Latest Topics | Latest Replies | Popular
RSS Feed | Partners | Search | AFQ

» Forgot your Password?

All Communities
 History, Culture, Society
 New Hellenism
 Yarmuk and Byzantine defeat
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Registration is closed. The Forum remains available only as a source of published information.

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Laellius

France
52 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2006 :  03:14:48  

Dear all,

This debate was raised in another forum, and I would like to have more opinions. What indeed caused the Byzantine defeat to the Arabs at Yarmuk in 636? I am well aware that historians still debate the issue. Was it an overall lack of good Byzantine military leadership, maladministration of the Empire, religious fractions that made it easier for whole segments of the Empire to split, Arab strength and skills, or simply Byzantine 'bad luck?'

Thank you for your inputs,

Leallius.

George

Greece
615 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2006 :  09:30:33  

You don’t have to keep just one reason, nor all of them, or with the same importance. I tend to agree with Ostrogorsky, that after the victory against the Persian empire, both Byzantium and Persia were exhausted. Arabs took advantage of this, and after their victory against Persians they continued to Byzantium. Religious problems with the Coptic and Syrian population existed already, it can’t be a decisive factor, in my opinion, neither lack of military leadership, a leadership just proved against Persians. It seems that the long confrontation of Persia with Byzantium prepared the way to the Arabs.

Go to Top of Page

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Promote Greek Learning

Use Elpenor's Libraries and Greek Language departments to stimulate your thinking. To refer to a text there published, just copy its url and paste it in your post. ||| Get updates of all Ellopos sites by e-mail. ||| Download Shortcuts for easy access to the Communities - or drag this icon and drop it in the Links bar of your browser :ELPENOR

Learned Freeware

Reference address : https://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/koinonia/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=166© Elpenor