KOINONIA Greek Forum Login To Start Posting!
KOINONIA - Greek Forum
Profile | Active Topics | Latest Topics | Latest Replies | Popular
RSS Feed | Partners | Search | AFQ

» Forgot your Password?

All Communities
 The language
 Speaking Greek
 mailing lists or newsgroups?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Registration is closed. The Forum remains available only as a source of published information.

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mona NicLeoid

Germany
2 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2006 :  21:40:58  

Hi there,
are there any mailing lists or newsgroups available where Ancient Greek is discussed? I am on some mailing lists for other languages and related topics, like Celtic linguistics, Old Irish, etc., and I would like to find something similar for Ancient Greek - preferrably *not* Bible Greek, but literature and linguistics discussion of all sort of Ancient Greek sources, grammar topics, etc.

By the way, I have a small project running, http://nikostrate.blogspot.com which follows the crazy idea of learning Ancient Greek through the medium or communication language of Scottish Gaelic. So, if anyone here happens to speak Gaelic, have a look and feel free to participate ;-)
Mona

Amedeo

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2006 :  16:24:46  

You have an interesting project!
Since many people, like myself, do not know Scottish Gaelic, you would be teaching it, if you included an English version.

I have written a very general essay on "Greek and Mideastern-European Languages" [See: Interpretation]
If you are in etymology, it would be interesting for you to add there any comparative study of Scottish Gaelic , English, and Greek words. (Any list of cognates would be welcome.)

Go to Top of Page

Mona NicLeoid

Germany
2 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2006 :  21:44:37  

No sorry, I won't do any translation to English there... You see, Scottish Gaelic is an endangered minority language, and the only way to support such a language and keep it alive is to use it as much as possible, for all sort of topics, and *without* translating everything to a majority language like English. There are many websites available for those interested in learning Gaelic ;-)

As to the etymology project, thank you for the hint, I'll have a look at it. I'm currently working on something related, so maybe you'll hear from me soon.
Good wishes,
Mona

Go to Top of Page

Aristokles

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2006 :  02:34:14  

Mons,
If you are still monitoring this forum the following has a very active forum for Latin and Greek.
http://www.textkit.com/

But I get the straightest answers on here Koinonia and am not shellaced for not using Erasmus tongue twisting proununciation.

Go to Top of Page

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Promote Greek Learning

Use Elpenor's Libraries and Greek Language departments to stimulate your thinking. To refer to a text there published, just copy its url and paste it in your post. ||| Get updates of all Ellopos sites by e-mail. ||| Download Shortcuts for easy access to the Communities - or drag this icon and drop it in the Links bar of your browser :ELPENOR

Learned Freeware

Reference address : https://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/koinonia/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=127© Elpenor