KOINONIA Greek Forum Login To Start Posting!
KOINONIA - Greek Forum
Profile | Active Topics | Latest Topics | Latest Replies | Popular
RSS Feed | Partners | Search | AFQ

» Forgot your Password?

All Communities
 The language
 Speaking Greek
 Translation of Aithein
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Registration is closed. The Forum remains available only as a source of published information.

Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Erin

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2005 :  06:19:36  

I've been using the word Aithein as a screen name for quite a while but I'm not sure I pronounce it correctly . If someone could post how to pronounce it phonetically in English or better yet post an audio clip, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

George

Greece
615 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2005 :  21:04:41  

Do you know the meaning?

Go to Top of Page

Erin

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2005 :  19:31:10  

As far as I know it means to ignite, to burn or to shine. The only way I've ever seen it used is in the definition of Aether. I've searched for Aithein itself and nothing really comes up.

Go to Top of Page

George

Greece
615 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2005 :  20:34:41  

According to Aristotle, Anaxagoras uses aithein to define aether. Euripides also uses it in lighting a fire. It means also to glow. Aristophanes also uses it, Sophocles and others (in this form, the infinitive), and is also common in other forms.

It is pronounced as *ethyn (with the *e, the *th and the *y as in the word therapy)

In Greek is written αἴθειν (capitals: ΑΙΘΕΙΝ)
You are very right in transliterating it as aithein

George

Go to Top of Page

Erin

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2005 :  19:10:48  

Thank you, you've been a great help!

Go to Top of Page

nikhilgupta

India
1 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2007 :  17:04:33  

Aithein means to rekindle, to burn.
it also means to make one young again....
I liked the name so much and it is completely in tune with the work I do, so I have opened a firm by that name.

Check out the site www.aithein.com

Go to Top of Page

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Promote Greek Learning

Use Elpenor's Libraries and Greek Language departments to stimulate your thinking. To refer to a text there published, just copy its url and paste it in your post. ||| Get updates of all Ellopos sites by e-mail. ||| Download Shortcuts for easy access to the Communities - or drag this icon and drop it in the Links bar of your browser :ELPENOR

Learned Freeware

Reference address : https://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/koinonia/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=112© Elpenor