KOINONIA Greek Forum Login To Start Posting!
KOINONIA - Greek Forum
Profile | Active Topics | Latest Topics | Latest Replies | Popular
RSS Feed | Partners | Search | AFQ

» Forgot your Password?

All Communities
 The language
 Speaking Greek
 aorists
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Registration is closed. The Forum remains available only as a source of published information.

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lailaannamaria

Norway
1 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2005 :  01:10:22  

I do not get the aorist meanings, at least I do not understand if there are aorist in PRESENT and FUTURE. I have somewhat grabbed the PAST aorist, but I do not understand very much without a greek to english translation of an example verb in all aorist tenses.
Please anyone?

Maria

George

Greece
615 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2005 :  07:53:41  

Hi Maria,

Please read www.ellopos.net/elpenor/lessons/lesson2b.asp">this page about tenses, and then write again if you don't understand. You can also find books with example verbs (in complete grammars and syntaxes) to read or download for free at www.ellopos.net/elpenor/greek-texts/greek-resources-speaking.asp">this page

George

Go to Top of Page

tdw1203

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2005 :  09:29:06  

Hi Maria:
You raise a complicated topic. Aorist is not a tense but an aspect of the Ancient Gk. verb which exhibits 3 aspects: in my terminology they are: the Continuative (usually called the Present) , the Resultative (usually called the Perfect) and the Unmarked (which is a translation of the Gk. word aorist). The Continuative is marked by ongoing action; the Resultative is marked by a present fact resulting from a past action; the unmarked means "neither of the above," i.e. the speaker is indifferent about the aspect, all that is important is that the action happen.

This is straightforward enough in theory. The best way to see it is by considering the infinitive. The continuative active infinitive of luo is luein and it means "to be in the act of freeing." It cannot mean "to free," a meaning which is reserved to the aorist active infinitive lusai. The perfect is a little more tricky; lets take a different verb: tethnêkenai means "to be dead" i.e. the present result of the act of dying. But in the finite forms tense and aspect interact in unpredictable ways. luô means either "I am freeing", or "I free" so we can say that it is indifferently continuative or aorist. The future is like the present. In the past tense, however, these aspects must be distinguished: eluon (the imperfect) means "I was freeing;" to say "I freed" you must resort to the aorist elusa. The resultative will always be distinguished from the other aspects, no matter what the tense.
I hope this has been of some help to you.
tomw (tdw1203)

Go to Top of Page

giovanni

Italy
45 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2006 :  18:30:29  

Do you know some german?
If so I suggest that you consult the AUSFURLICHE GRAMMATIK DER GRIECHISCHEN SPRACHE, by R. Kuhner, B. Gerth and F. Blass, it is freely available on the WEB at this address.

For aorists see Vol. II, § 386.

This grammatik is also on sale by VERLAG HANSCHE BUCHHANDLUNG.
It comprises both grammar and syntax and is a true masterpiece.
It dates to the XIX century and I must affirm that german scholars have been the very best.

Go to Top of Page

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Promote Greek Learning

Use Elpenor's Libraries and Greek Language departments to stimulate your thinking. To refer to a text there published, just copy its url and paste it in your post. ||| Get updates of all Ellopos sites by e-mail. ||| Download Shortcuts for easy access to the Communities - or drag this icon and drop it in the Links bar of your browser :ELPENOR

Learned Freeware

Reference address : https://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/koinonia/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=109© Elpenor